News Sad story, but important lesson learned hopefully by many.

mlohry

A good friend of mine sent me this link via Facebook and thanked me for showing her how to properly restrain her children so that they would be safe. Her son rode in a recalled Eddie Bauer seat, the one that had the harness that loosened for 2 years before she had me look at why it was so loose all the time. She never lets me forget that I helped her son out and I am so thankful I could do that.

Anyway, this story happened about 10 minutes from where I live, the child was ejected and killed due to not being properly restrained. The article I felt was educating and the video, although short covered a lot of important basics. The only thing I wish they would have touched on was rear facing to at least 2.

I think it's sad that a tragedy has to happen before news people will talk about child car seat safety, but at least they didn't just give the story without providing what could have been done.

http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/dpp/...cted-girl-not-restrained-properly-may-12-2011

ADS

autumnlily

Thank you for sharing. It was written really well and I'm going to save it as a favorite link.

Although, I really wish it didn't have to be written at all :(

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I'll be honest. I am religous, and believe in God very strongly, but when someone says that something like this is "in God's hands" it makes me angry. Because there were opportunities to learn to use that car seat properly. It was not God's choice that a parent didn't read and follow the directions and therefore lost her child. I understand that the woman was an immigrant, and may not speak/read the best English. But there were opportunities for her to ask for help. There were opportunities for her friends and family to read them for her, and teach her what they said. There were opportunities to seek out a tech. There's that story about the man who asked God "why didn't you save me from the flood" and He answered "I sent Boy Scouts and the fire department and a helicopter, what more did you want?"

I should shut up now.

autumnlily

KQ - I didn't see the comment/reference to "in God's hands" (I'm not going back to look for it - finding it would only be more upsetting to me)... but I agree with you wholeheartedly on the subject.

mlohry

autumnlily said:
KQ - I didn't see the comment/reference to "in God's hands" (I'm not going back to look for it - finding it would only be more upsetting to me)... but I agree with you wholeheartedly on the subject.

I missed that quote too, and I tried to find it. I totally agree too. I really hate that the 2 adults were properly restrained, but the child wasn't. Like their lives were more important. How many times do I see mom or dad in the front with a seat belt on and kids jumping around the back. ?!?!

hrice

I'll be honest. I am religous, and believe in God very strongly, but when someone says that something like this is "in God's hands" it makes me angry. Because there were opportunities to learn to use that car seat properly. It was not God's choice that a parent didn't read and follow the directions and therefore lost her child. I understand that the woman was an immigrant, and may not speak/read the best English. But there were opportunities for her to ask for help. There were opportunities for her friends and family to read them for her, and teach her what they said. There were opportunities to seek out a tech. There's that story about the man who asked God "why didn't you save me from the flood" and He answered "I sent Boy Scouts and the fire department and a helicopter, what more did you want?"

I should shut up now.

I completely agree. The "in God's hands" thing really ticks me off. There is the hand of God and there is FREE WILL. He gives us the tools and it is up to us what to do with them.

And now I am done. :D

eyeslkethesky5391

Senior Community Member
Its sad to see that most of the comments on the newsite are my kid unbuckled themselves all the time its not always the parents fault....you are the parent and you make sure between rules and consequences how to keep your child from unbuckling that seat.

mlohry

Since I posted this link and it happened in my state all the news stations are talking about how there needs to be more education and free clinics available. I do think we need to get more education out to the Drs and even WIC people, gov't resources for people. I think that it all comes down to free will too. I also think it's crap that people would blame the child like I am seeing a lot of people say on FB posts, that child is a minor and it was the mom's responsibility to keep her restrained and if that wasn't possible, then they shouldn't have been in a car.

scariestone

It was not God's choice that a parent didn't read and follow the directions and therefore lost her child.

You always say everything perfectly. :D If one believes in God, then said person believes God gave them a brain. Why people choose not to use that brain because "God will take care of them", I will never understand.

MissAllyLou

Since I posted this link and it happened in my state all the news stations are talking about how there needs to be more education and free clinics available. I do think we need to get more education out to the Drs and even WIC people, gov't resources for people. I think that it all comes down to free will too. I also think it's crap that people would blame the child like I am seeing a lot of people say on FB posts, that child is a minor and it was the mom's responsibility to keep her restrained and if that wasn't possible, then they shouldn't have been in a car.

I find it so frustrating that this needless, 100% preventable death occurred, and now all of a sudden there "needs to be more education"...

I have volunteered the first Saturday of every month at Merit Chevrolet in Maplewood doing seat checks for over 3 years now. And I find it heartbreaking and maddening to see a story like this, when we have more appointments canceled than attended at our FREE clinics. Our 4 hour clinics are often shortened up to 2 or 3 because there aren't enough appointments to fill the 4 hours. And then something like this happens :mad: . It's just so heartbreaking.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC