Do I have any options to help in my community?

Lenae

Since moving here, I have seen a ton of terrible carseat usage. I think it is part apathy, people thinking it's just our small little island, the maximum speed limit is 35, who cares? And part just plain not knowing.

Is there anything I can legally do to help in the community? I'm not a tech, I'd love to be, but I can't take the class. I don't want to install seats for people or anything, but could I maybe hand out some pamphlets or brochures and offer to help people decipher their carseat manuals? Offer tips for installation maybe?

I know the people who have their kids riding around totally unrestrained are probably not going to react positively, but maybe those who just don't know? Who use seats, but maybe do so improperly? Is it a dumb idea in general?

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Do you have any pediatricians on the island? I find that pediatricians are where most people get their car seat info... Getting the peds on board and getting them to give out current SafetyBeltSafe printables instead of 10 year old brochures can go a long way.

Community centers, mom groups, play groups and dentists' or OB's offices are other great areas to ask if you can leave brochures. Besides the stuff from SafetyBeltSafe, I have a brochure you're welcome to print (or have printed) to leave around.

For really blatant misuse you see and HAVE to leave something on a car, you can order USAA booklets, though they might just throw them out.

KaiLing

I know the people who have their kids riding around totally unrestrained are probably not going to react positively, but maybe those who just don't know? Who use seats, but maybe do so improperly? Is it a dumb idea in general?

Totally with you. I've started posting things to facebook and in the last week 3 different friends wrote me to ask about car seats and another realized she didn't have the top tether on her FF car seat. It seems to be the car seat photos I post of my kid that people pay attention to. So I think it does matter when we speak up! I try to mention it to people in real life too, but I'm scared and careful. I always try to tell people about local check events--that's non-confrontational. And with pregnant people on their not-first kid I mention expiration, also non-confrontational. Every little bit counts! So many people don't know!

Lenae

Thanks for the idea about the pediatrician. There isn't an actual ped here on the island, but there is a clinic that does some family practice, and that is also where the dentist is. Maybe I could take some pamphlets there and leave them on the receptionists desk or something. Maybe when I take my kids in next I can talk to the doctor. Most of the blatant misuse I see is on the road, and that is kids entirely unrestrained. People stop using carseats here once children turn about 12-18 months.

I go to church with the chief of police, often have Sunday lunch with him, maybe I could bring it up then. My husband is volunteering at the fire station now, I could get him to leave some pamphlets there and maybe talk to the other firefighters about it. DH told me that no one has ever brought a seat in to be checked by the firefighters that he knows of, I don't think there has ever even been a seat check on the island. Too many people higher up just don't care I think.

I like the idea of pamphlets, that way I can just offer them to people, and don't have to put myself out there too much. Thanks!

Gypsyphoenix

I'd definitely try to avoid being too confrontational, given your situation. Being on a small island, that island can definitely seem smaller when you make enemies. But doing something (pamphlets at the dr, or something?) sounds great. Just saying I'd avoid making enemies in a small isolated community.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC