Rumi Air: Pics & Recline Angle (???)

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
(Don't think we have any Rumi Air pics yet, right?)

I stopped for one quick thing at BRU tonight and was there way long. They have a new baby gear guy and he is awesome! :love: They also have the Rumi Air. I have a few pics; apologies but I had no kid to put in the seat, nor did I have a tape measure. I also didn't install it.

Price point is exactly the same as the Nautilus -- 159.99 I think. Cannot possibly imagine someone *buying* this when it sits on the shelf next to the Nautilus at the same price point.

Hits: 40lb booster minimum, 22lb/34in harness minimum, belt path looks decent, harness height looks ok. Love the LATCH storage compartment.

Misses: Ugly, recline is RIDICULOUS. Please -- somebody tell me if I'm reading that wrong? Both the BRU guy and I looked it up and down, and I verified in the manual, and they *really* want this seat that reclined?! Am I missing something??

Clickable thumbnails --

Lowest harness height:

Highest harness height:

Overall side view:

Belt path from the side:

Harness labels:

Booster labels: (40lbs!)

Recline line closeup:

Recline angle overview:

BRU guy was really hung up on how cheap the seat looked/felt -- for example, the plastic doesn't quite align properly.

Can't tell in the pics, but the cupholder is flexible -- which will be nice for 3-acrossing.

Overall width is comparable to other combo seats -- probably no wider than the Nautilus, but not markedly narrower, either. I would guess harness height to be around 16" ... aka "from the bottom of my elbow to the tip of my middle finger." Scientific, I know. It seemed higher, hopefully someone else can measure (or I will go back this weekend with a tape measure.) Guestimating top booster guide height about two inches above that -- it's the same setting, I think. I didn't read the manual.

Harness adjustment is via a lever on the back -- really nice and easy, and should be do-able while installed. The seat is encased in a shell, and you have to remove the cover/drawer (covered by my thumb in the very first pic :doh:) to remove the harness.

ADS

djma

What's weird is that above the angle picture, it has 3 little pictures showing the different installations (lap/shoulder, lap, latch) and it is not showing that recline :confused:

bethng

I did a quick measurment of the top harness slots and was getting about 17" (with a cheap BRU paper mearsuring tape). The seat does not impress me.

agave

I almost like it, on my scion seats it would be almost camo, but almost anything would be an improvement form the boring grey blobs filling my back seat now. I was in BRU last week and my almost 3 yr old tried out all of the combo seats except the Rumi because they only had one in the box and no display. She is starting to get really annoyed with the giant buckle on the MyRide and didn't seem very impressed with the Nautilus either so I might consider one, I have about a year to think about it.

jess71903

Ambassador
Are there any other seats that require a recline like that? I know some have the option to recline SOME, and the Regent has the mandatory recline bar. That's just weird.

Carrie_R

What's weird is that above the angle picture, it has 3 little pictures showing the different installations (lap/shoulder, lap, latch) and it is not showing that recline :confused:

You're right -- it's not. Weird. It definitely has a gap to the right of the line, and also in the manual, but the gap is not nearly as exaggerated as it is in practice.

I'm thinking this is like the "level line here" for the AOE etc, where putting that line level way overreclines the seat.

17" is a definite possibility, my method was so unscientific I cannot even begin to tell you, lol...

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I think the pic is a little off. I lined up one piece of paper with the shelf and another one with the level line and they weren't parallel. Not saying it isn't really reclined, but just possibly not as much as it appears.

Carrie_R

I noticed that last night, Kimberly. I'm not sure whether the seat slipped back a bit, or if it's a trick of the camera. I do know that after I took the close-up pic, I stepped back to take the other one and realized the line STILL wasn't level and I needed to recline it more. Not sure if it overreclined from that point (slid on the shelf a bit, since it was sitting up on a point,) or if it's a camera trick due to cameraphone. I kind of think the latter, I don't recall it slipping, but truly can't say. Even before I reclined it that bit more, it still would have left the kid's feet sticking way up in the air.

I'm tempted to go back to BRU at some point this weekend and try a test install. I just can't possibly wrap my brain around getting that line level. It would make a FFing MR look quite upright, I think, lol.

Pixels

:eek: <- Me, when seeing that recline.

Other than in vehicles with captain's chairs that can be reclined AND do not have a specific recline setting for installing a harnessed seat, I don't see that fitting in a real vehicle.

Now I really want to go to the store and see it myself. I see pictures, yet I can't believe it.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I almost like it, on my scion seats it would be almost camo, but almost anything would be an improvement form the boring grey blobs filling my back seat now. I was in BRU last week and my almost 3 yr old tried out all of the combo seats except the Rumi because they only had one in the box and no display. She is starting to get really annoyed with the giant buckle on the MyRide and didn't seem very impressed with the Nautilus either so I might consider one, I have about a year to think about it.
I sort of dig the modern look, it's nice to have something 'differently' shaped for people to choose from, at least :thumbsup:

I suspect the price will drop, they really need something midpoint between the GN/E (179/199) and Maestro/Generations (79/99), and I notice they really jack up the price of new Coscos when they are the first to carry them on shelves ($249 for the CA50 :eek:)

As for the recline...uh.. did someone put the sticker on wrong or something? That's wacky. Too bad they got rid of their test benches or we'd be able to check a lot easier :rolleyes:

Pixels

The recline line is not a sticker, it's molded into the shell. There is no way that it could be wrong.

mommycat

I think it's fugly. And I don't see it as modern at all, it makes me think of old, square chuncky furniture with bad upholstery. Airline seats. Seats on old buses. Blech.

Spam

so it looks like the bottom of the seat doesn't even touch the vehicle seat when installed?? That is just weird. I think it's fugly too

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC