Next Gen Britax Lockoffs

ADS

njkj

I use the base of my palm by my thumb (did that make since???) and push down REALLY hard. Sometime I have to bounce a little, kinda of like when you have almost not enough seat belt for a long belt path install.

Last edited:

wavegal

I despise them! I hate having to tighten after locking! I refuse to move my sons seat for this reason!

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
I'm actually beginning to like them. What I found works is to NOT tighten the seat belt as much as you think you would...I mean, you take out all the slack....but not super duper tight like I normally do...and when I close the lock offs, it finishes tightening it up and I have a rock solid install. It's 'acceptable' before I close, but not rock the car tight until the lock offs close.

If I get the seat belt pulled completely tight first....then I cannot close the lock off to save my life.

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Push the seatbelt into the channel within the lockoff before closing it. It kind of seats the seatbelt in there making the lockoff easier to close.

tl01

I slide it closed from one end to the other using my palm. I actually don't mind them at all.

Chila88

I can NOT get them closed to save my life, and then when I took my tech training I asked our instructor and he did it like it was no big deal. But he did them up with the belt still a bit loose (not within the realm of acceptable though).

Anyone else do that? Is it ok to tighten after closing them?

Spam

I tried it once or twice and hated it. It was hard to close, dh had to help me. I decided I won't be using them after re-reading the manual again and realizing they're not required.

If your vehicle seat belt system includes a locking feature,
use of the lock-offs is not required as long as the vehicle seat
belt system is locked. Check your vehicle owner’s manual
to determine how to lock your vehicle seat belt system when
installing a child restraint.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I felt like a royal idiot after I realized there are *two* arms to lift up, it looked like the really old ones where you put the belts between the arms of the same color. Really not sure what they were thinking (or why they weren't thinking at all? lol) with this new design and it's un-intuitiveness.

Jessica61624

joolsplus3 said:
I felt like a royal idiot after I realized there are *two* arms to lift up, it looked like the really old ones where you put the belts between the arms of the same color. Really not sure what they were thinking (or why they weren't thinking at all? lol) with this new design and it's un-intuitiveness.

Me too! I felt pretty dumb too!

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
2 arms to lift up? Ok, no wonder it didn't work, off to the garage to look...

Yep. When you open it, there are 2 'legs' to the lock off. Makes it look like a U when they are both open. You close one side over the belt...then the 2nd one on top of it...and it does take some force. Fingers, will not cut it. You will have you start from the hinge side with the palm of your hand and using all your might, slide your hand forward closing the lock off. Once you get it, it's not that bad....

flipper68

Senior Community Member
It's 2 pieces - like the lockoff on a Graco infant base, only narrower.

I've only worked with 2-3 and thought they worked pretty slick. WAY better than the RFing old style lockoffs with many seatbelts.

Mom2FiveGirls

I'm actually beginning to like them. What I found works is to NOT tighten the seat belt as much as you think you would...I mean, you take out all the slack....but not super duper tight like I normally do...and when I close the lock offs, it finishes tightening it up and I have a rock solid install. It's 'acceptable' before I close, but not rock the car tight until the lock offs close.

If I get the seat belt pulled completely tight first....then I cannot close the lock off to save my life.

This. I tried getting it completely tight and had to ask DD1 to leave because I was afraid I might say words she shouldn't hear...lol. Then I came here and read about just tightening until all the slack is out but not getting it really tight and it was MUCH easier.

Mom2FiveGirls

I did the same thing! I felt so stupid...lol.

amelia222

I cannot get them closed so the MA stays in the middle with the lapbelt. Once I managed to get one closed after about 20 minutes and both hands pushing on the thing but the seat was nowhere tight.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC