Volunteering but not a tech?

cmm7

I got an e-mail today asking me to be a volunteer at a seat check on June 2nd. I'm not a tech... so what sort of things would I be doing? Will I still get to see seats? Or would I be put in charge of handing out lunch?

I really want to do it if I will get to see seats, but I'll probably do it either way since I know they need people. I just want to know what to expect.

Thanks!

(Oh, and do they get my e-mail through this baord? Does anyone know? I have no idea why I got this e-mail, but I am excited!)

ADS

ThreeBeans

I get emails all the time about checks in the area. I'm not a tech so I don't go. Someone here suggested being a baby-wrangler :p but with a 2 year old, a 1 year old, and being 7 months pregnant I'm not sure I would be terribly useful :thumbsdown:

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
You'll probably be making sure parents fill out their liability waivers, getting replacement seats, watching kids, etc. -- hopefully only techs & parents will be installing seats....

cmm7

I figured I wouldn't be installing seats (well, if any old volunteer could do that, maybe that explains some of the stories I've heard...) but by seeing seats I meant what papooses said. Grabbing new seats and actually dealing with the people who come in. Not just sitting at a table all day. I probably could have worded my first post a little better. Sorry about that.

Thanks!

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
You might also have the oppertunity to scribe for a tech. That is where they tell you what they are doing/done to the seat for installation purposes (twisting belt stalk, using shelf grip liner, locking clip, etc...) and also checking for recalls, filling out the seat information (manufacture, model name, model #, DOM).

You could also be handing out the paperwork (waivers & tech sheets) to parents or helping with the kids.

I don't know about other techs but I honestly hate having a scribe. Not that they don't do a good job or not being helpful. I just have my system on how I do my paperwork and I feel so out of place when someone else is doing it for me. But, That is my OCD kicking in there. :D

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
LOL! I'm like that Jenny -- if there's someone else then I just feel like I have to do my job + theirs & then I get frustrated when that someone counteracts solid safest practice advice with the legal bare minimum nonsense....

oxeye

I volunteered at one a couple weekends ago. I organized the cars as they drove in, gave them the paperwork, and told them what to expect.

That didn't take much time - after that I got to watch seats being installed. :) And talk to the techs, ask questions, help with a couple installations where it was just easier to have two people than one. It was fun and I learned a lot. So if you can, I definitely recommend going. I left the girls with DH and enjoyed having a little time without them. ;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC