how does this email to a friend look?

KaiLing

I'm composing an email to a friend who turned her first daughter at age 1 (probably just because they bought the Nautilus right out of the infant seat and it was easy and no one told her not to). Her second daughter will be 1 in July. Thoughts? This is a smart lady who I like a lot, but we're sort of new friends--they moved out of the area so we see them only sometimes. I'd like to give her some links, too, I guess, but I want to be nice, too!

Here's what I wrote so far:

"So I've become alarmingly obsessed with car safety. Its not that surprising, I had two family friends in terrible car accidents when I was in high school and the one who lived was wearing her seat belt, while the other one was not. Before I started reading around (to buy C a seat that will keep him rear facing) I thought that having a kid forward facing from age 1 to 2 was less safe but OK. Now I think it's like letting your kid play with a knife or a loaded weapon. They're 5 times safer in the second year rear facing, and car accidents are the number one cause of fatal injury to children. Since G's edging up on her birthday and probably out of her seat I thought I'd throw you a plea to keep her rear facing. Plus, I have not one but two perfectly fine seats here that you can have that can keep her rear facing until 40 lbs, which with your kids will certainly get her to her second birthday. C outgrew the Graco MyRide by height, and I really like that seat (two cup holders!) and then I went and bought a lighter seat for traveling and I think it's too short. It's a Cosco Scenera 40rf and it's never been used. It's a $50 seat, so less comfortable than the MyRide, but brand new."

ADS

mish

I would certainly take out the part about letting your kid play with a knife or loaded weapon. 1st, because I don't necessarily believe that, and 2nd, even I shocked to read that. If I was a mother who got that e-mail I would be hurt and livid. Also, I think offering her free seats the way you did might imply you think she can't afford them.

hrice

I would just tell her that you are a child passenger safety advocate and really feel compelled to share some very important safety information with her. Tell her RF is 500% safer for children under the age of 2. Link her to the AAP's recs or a video.

Like this one:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sssIsceKd6U&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]YouTube - Rear facing vs forward facing position in the car[/ame]

KaiLing

I would certainly take out the part about letting your kid play with a knife or loaded weapon. 1st, because I don't necessarily believe that, and 2nd, even I shocked to read that. If I was a mother who got that e-mail I would be hurt and livid.

Will do. I wouldn't react that way, but I know that's a personal thing and I'm too blunt too often. Thanks, that's exactly what I needed to hear.

I don't think she cares about money. We're exactly the same in that regard and have shared lots of baby stuff.

mish

I don't think she cares about money. We're exactly the same in that regard and have shared lots of baby stuff.

If that's the case I would leave that part in. It's so hard to know how someone will react not knowing their personality. I always just try to be very cautious knowing we don't want to push someone away.

rachelandtyke

How about some rearranging?

Start off by saying something like you are sure baby will be moving out of infant seat soon and that you have a couple of seats that she could have if she'd like to move baby into and then you can talk about why you have them and like them for rfing longer and throw in why it's important to keep them rfing longer (and include the new AAP rec), etc.

Make sense?

Feels quite different.

KaiLing

I always just try to be very cautious knowing we don't want to push someone away.

I know! I'm super duper cautious with people I don't know (like the lady at the library with an expired infant seat), but I think I just act like my blunt outspoken self with people I do know. I need to find a way to be in the middle with people who already respect my opinion. I've spent all of parenthood vary carefully not telling people what to do with their kids, since I HATE being told things about sleep and food and whathaveyou, but car seats matter so much to me that I'm learning to be pushy in an appropriate way for different audiences, you know? It's a learning process. And I'm a beginner. And it's OK to be a beginner.

KaiLing

Start off by saying something like you are sure baby will be moving out of infant seat soon and that you have a couple of seats that she could have if she'd like to move baby into and then you can talk about why you have them and like them for rfing longer and throw in why it's important to keep them rfing longer (and include the new AAP rec), etc.

Make sense?

Feels quite different.

Totally! Will try! You guys rule!

mish

Make sense?

Feels quite different.

I think this is a great idea!

I know! I'm super duper cautious with people I don't know (like the lady at the library with an expired infant seat), but I think I just act like my blunt outspoken self with people I do know. I need to find a way to be in the middle with people who already respect my opinion. I've spent all of parenthood vary carefully not telling people what to do with their kids, since I HATE being told things about sleep and food and whathaveyou, but car seats matter so much to me that I'm learning to be pushy in an appropriate way for different audiences, you know? It's a learning process. And I'm a beginner. And it's OK to be a beginner.

You're doing great :D It's hard to be so passionate about something and want everyone to do what you know is best and not be quite sure how to convince them. I hope I didn't make you feel bad. I'm so not good at wording things on the internet!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC