If you have filed your SL problem with NHTSA and BBB, post here!

ADS

mom2olivia

I have with BBB because I am appauled by their responses on FB and what I've heard from other people.
I have not filed with NHTSA because I personally don't have any issues with the seat. (I don't have LATCH)

Stelvis

Hey has anyone noticed that there's now two categories on NHTSA when you search complaints? Radian and RadianXT...

ETA:

By the way -- and this is why I hate BBB -- if you search SKJP they show a report that says A+, the company has 0 complaints. Because BBB only counts "resolved" complaints in their report -- not open complaints. So SKJP pays money to belong to BBB, and BBB in turn does its best for them to keep the number of resolved complaints low.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo8kfV9kONw"]YouTube - Better Business Bureau 20/20 Investigation[/ame]

Last edited:

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Stelvis, if you have a better idea, please let me know. This is my idea, and I would like to try it. I personally have no issues with the radian, I keep hearing of the issue and I just want it fixed. BBB fixed my issue with Walmart.

NicoleCPST

Senior Community Member
Yeah, its worth a shot, it only takes 5 minutes to fill out a complaint. It cant hurt! you never know...

In my own opinion I didnt really think the FB stuff would do anything but its at least drawing some attention to the issue and SK is acknowledging that to people on the phone!

Stelvis

I am not trying to start an argument, and I understand where you're coming from. I'm glad BBB fixed something for you in the past. Perhaps it varied from one town to another -- in my area most well known businesses don't bother with BBB because they already have good reputations (such as my husband's company) whereas there are a lot of sketchtastic businesses that join to give themselves the air of legitimacy.

Cryssy Jane

I've filed nhtsa reports for both my radians. I didn't think of bbb. I'll do that at nap time. I run the philosophy that anything may help at this point so might as well try.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

luvsviola

I filed today with the BBB.

Complaint Description:
I have purchased 2 Sunshine Kids Radian XTSL carseats. The SuperLatch strap on both carseats comes undone while I am driving when it is installed rearfacing in my 2008 Honda Odyssey. I reported the problem to Sunshine Kids, and the first time, I was sent instructions on how to properly install the seat. This did not solve the problem. I emailed back, and the second time, we sent a new SuperLatch belt. This belt is exactly the same as the one installed on the seat, and did not solve my problem. I have emailed them back again, but I am not comfortable putting my child in a seat that the design allows a child to kick the latch belt and make it loose, and that comes undone when you are driving.

Your Desired Resolution:
I wish to return my two seats at the Sunshine Kids expense for a refund. I paid a lot of money for a seat that is safe, and for Sunshine Kids reputation as standing behind their products. I do not feel comfortable putting my children in their faulty seats, and sending me another one, without a redesign of the belt, is not going to make me feel safe using their very expensive products.

Last edited:

mamajava

Senior Community Member
I am on the phone filing with NHTSA right now. She seems annoyed, but maybe its because of all the reports about the Radian.

Stelvis

Just wanted to update, since I did file with BBB just to see what would happen. Basically, they did squat and SKJP still has an A+ rating on their public site. There was no investigation, I wasn't contacted with any questions, nothing.

This is the message I got back:

Sunshine Kids engineering team has reviewed the information provided and has determined that there is not a safety concern with design of the SuperLATCH mechanism and therefor a recall is not appropriate.

Elsewhere it says: We received a response from the business regarding your complaint. This letter will remain in our files, but will not be reflected in their public BBB Reliability Report

So, they take the company's word for it, and don't let any complaints be reflected in the company's reliability ratings. Because Sunshine Kids ponies up the money for a membership fee every year.

eyeslkethesky5391

Senior Community Member
You know this is slightly off topic...but I was in babycenter today talking about car seats and literally every CPST on that site recommended the Radian...and so I went and told them that if they were to go through with buying any seat with superlatch to install it with a seatbelt, and left videos showing what happened.

And all the other cpsts argued with me! Telling me that the new seats are coming with a different strap? Is this true? I'm so confused

Stelvis

The new seats are coming with the same strap with a little wire retrofitted into the back of the tilt lock mechanism that is supposed to make what happened to me not happen. However, see the new video in my signature, the "retainer clip" as they are calling it did not solve my problem. You might want to post my video over there. It still was very easy to loosen. It has worked for some people however. I don't trust anything they say or do anymore.

Meg

And all the other cpsts argued with me! Telling me that the new seats are coming with a different strap? Is this true? I'm so confused

I got a new RN 80SL directly from SKJP a few ago and the new(?) strap was black, not red. There wasn't any wire in it.

so I went and told them that if they were to go through with buying any seat with superlatch to install it with a seatbelt.
I have both of my Radians installed with SL and I'm not concerned. If the SL doesn't work/isn't compataible in a specific car, then the seatbelt should definitely be used instead for the install.. But I wouldn't make the general statement that SL shouldn't be used in any cars.

Stelvis

Meg said:
I got a new RN 80SL directly from SKJP a few ago and the new(?) strap was black, not red. There wasn't any wire in it.

I have both of my Radians installed with SL and I'm not concerned. If the SL doesn't work/isn't compataible in a specific car, then the seatbelt should definitely be used instead for the install.. But I wouldn't make the general statement that SL shouldn't be used in any cars.

Red/black doesn't make a difference. People have had problems with both. The actual mechanism is the same unless it has the wire. Supposedly all the new ones they're sending have the wire so I'm surprised to hear yours didn't.

The problem is that it's not easy for the average consumer to see whether it's compatible, unless you know exactly what to look for. It can seem tight at the time of installation but loosen over time.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician

The problem is that it's not easy for the average consumer to see whether it's compatible, unless you know exactly what to look for. It can seem tight at the time of installation but loosen over time.

Yes, this. I have to disagree, and say that I have told my daycare parents (two of whom have gotten Radians recently) to not use the LATCH straps. It's too much to ask them to keep tabs on it.

A couple of months ago, I installed my RN with SL. I was well-aware of the problems, so I examined it very carefully -- pushed, pulled, checked that the LATCH strap didn't fall at the edge of the belt path, etc. I felt very comfortable with that install, and checked it for tightness several more times that day before declaring it compatable.

Two days later, I went to take the seat out -- reached around the side and darned if the tilt-lock mechanism wasn't hanging out an inch away from where I'd left it. I don't know how or why it loosened, since there was no apparent incompatability, but it was enough to know that I will NEVER install with the SL strap again, in my car or any other. It doesn't mean I don't recommend the Radian, but I make sure it's seatbelt-compatable, and that's how I help to install it.

I consider myself a bit more saavy than the average consumer, as well as well-studied in this problem, and it STILL happened to me. I think part of the issue is that nobody knows WHY this happens in some instances, so it's impossible to know what to watch out for.

Anyways, to get back to the thread at hand, I filed with NHTSA but not BBB... I never contacted SK asking for a resolution, so in my case the point is moot. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC