escaping toddler

renegade

Hi all I am posting for a friend in desperate need of help.
She has 3 kids all in car seats but the youngest will not stay buckled. He is in an eveflo chase (i think) he is 2 and about 30lbs. He knows how to undo not only the chest strap but the buckle as well (five point harness) Is there any kind of product or solution. She has tried everything discipline threats bribes etc. I am really worried since she has decided to just not buckle him anymore which is completely unacceptable. She has had the local PD and Highway patrol fit the seat and straps to her son but he gets out in a couple of minuets. Need a solution that will work for her car-seat as she is not willing to get a new one. Please advise!!!!

ADS

MaggieQ

Senior Community Member
Try putting the rough side of velcro on the buttons. Don't be afraid to get the heavy duty stuff.

You could also put any button up shirt on him, in-buttoned put him in the seat, pull the shirt on the outside of the harness and button it up over the buckles.

Sent from my EVO using Car-Seat.Org

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
I'd do the shirt! Or a light zip-up jacket with a safety pin under the zipper. That's scary that she is just not going to bother anymore. He must be taught. Heck, I'd go for a DVD player to distract him even on just a 5 min drive.

Kat_Momof3

What seat is he in?

Evenflo Chase

I'm wondering how old the toddler in question is?

in the meantime... I'd have her remove the crotch strap and put it back in... backwards... so he (hopefully) then can't push the button.

then she can work on disciplining the chest clip issue.

but really, on both, it's just going to take a lot of consistent discipline.

renegade

thanks everyone for the advice. He just turned 2 in December.
I will suggest the jacket idea. She has done all she knows how to do with discipline. Her older son had OCD and They are having the little one psych tested as well. There are underlying issues to his behavior outside of discipline.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC