Radian owners

Spam

Just curious if you own a radian because you love it or because it's the only thing works for your situation?

ADS

APmama2MAK

I own one because of the weight limits, not really for my child because he is light but for other kids that ride in my car a lot that are really heavy. I also like the buckles, the installation in my truck, and the ability to tether while rearfacing in the back of my truck.
Its nice to know my son wont have to be in a forward facing harnessed seat with no tether and that more children can rearface in my truck with no tether if they are not old/mature enough for a booster.

We have a trillion other seats including my beloved true fit premiere and yet the radian tends to stay in because its easy for me to unbuckle him (he buckles himself and my truck seat no longer flips forward so I cant get back there anymore) I can reach in the true fit easily...its just easiER with the radian.

I tend to NOT recommend them to anyone unless I can show/oversee installation because of their known compatibility issues with many cars/seating positions. I would rather recommend a myride or complete air with a 40 lb limit and know that it will most likely install a lot easier than the radian will. I could probably go on and on and on about all the reasons for using it, liking it, but not recommending it hardly EVER.

PS-I love the chest clip :D

christineka

Both? I have radians because I love them AND because they are the easiest seats to fit in my third row. I'm sure I could fit others, but the radians are less hassle to figure out. I know they are thin! Plus my four younger kids still fit, which makes them even better than some other seats.

Mom2FiveGirls

I *thought* it was the only thing that would work. Of course I tried DD5's MA70 back there (center of the third row) just to see and DD1 and DD2 (on each side of it) said they actually have more room. I guess because of the way its shaped... So I was going to put DD4 in that and DD5 RFing in the RN80, but now I'm so frustrated with the seat and SK (SL not staying tight) that I want to throw the seat off a bridge.

mommyfrog

Because I love it. Well, I guess I need it too. What else would fit in the middle of the 2nd row and let the seat slide forward for access to the third row? Nothing else I've tried will.

armywife12

The only reason I bought one was so I could continue to rf my son beyond 3 yrs old. He needed the extra weight limit. I pretty much despise the seat though and sold it not too long ago

glockchick

I have them because my DD wanted to rf and is over 40 lbs. I have DS's because it bugs me when their seats don't match. :eek:

I like some aspects of it and hate others. I love how low the sides are for ease of getting the kids in and out. I hate the ratcheting harness adjuster, and that it doesn't work in one of my 2 vehicles.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Um, both to some degree. It really is a NEED for me -- both for my giant (now-FFing) 4yo who I wasn't ready to turn when he hit 40lbs before his 3rd b'day, and because there are only about three configurations that work in my third row, all of which require a Radian.

But, I do like the seat, there are a lot of aspects I do love about it. When I ponder what seats I would keep if I didn't need fifty-leventy-million, it's usually on the list. I'm not crazy about the company, though, and like pp's I'm hesitant to recommend it to any Joe, Bob or Mary just because there's so MANY complex issues with the seat. (Limits, over-the-top-slot rule, safestop, boot, recline foot rules, overreclining installs, bracing, RF tethering, install tricks, SL problems, harness loosening... what have I forgotten, lol?)

mamakc

because it's the only thing that works in our situation. I loathe them! (Except the fabric... pretty pretty Flora. :) )

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I like it. I can fit just about anything in a 3 across in my car, but I always throw atleast 1 radian in there.

LuvMyCharlie

I bought ANOTHER one(this is my third, I've swapped the other two) just because DS wanted to ride RF again. It is the only American seat that will accommodate him at this point. Installing it and trying to get it more upright than 40 degrees, I quickly remembered why I absolutely loathe the seat for everyday use. It's a great travel seat for us though and I'm glad to have another one for our flights at the end of the summer.

firemomof3

Um, LuvMyCharlie...did you order a MT?!!!
As for me, both apply to me. I need my 65SL in the 3rd row with the 2 Britax conv. for 3 across. And I bought an XTSL for ds so he could rf until he was 4y/o. Now, he's ff in his Radian and on the top slots (but with plenty of growing room) and he loves it. I like it just fine ff and its a breeze to install in my van. I have never experience the loosening of the SL strap like so many others. I do check everyday and its always tight. Though, my best friend has a 2010 Pilot and she had the same problems with her XTSL and her 3y/o son. The replacement strap sent from SK seems to be working fine. I checked it myself over the weekend and I couldn't loosen the seat at all.

Last edited:

andre149

I own one bc of the 45lb rearfacing limit... I like the seat; I don't love it. I loved my older MA but the 33lb limit just wasn't cutting it.

AtTheSouthDam

I like mine. I know there are a lot of seats that worked in my situation and actually used most of them at one point (Como, MA, MR, and TF) but I kept going back to the RN. It gave me more flexibility and I never had installation issues, RF or FF. Sometimes I worried about because so many had trouble but mine were fine. I like, now, how little room it takes up in DH's Civic. And FF combo seat is going to seem huge in there in comparison. Oh, and I like how it fits my daughter. She is pretty slender despite her weight with narrow shoulders. The RN looks like it fits her.

moxy

Originally it was bought because I wanted the higher rf'ing weight limit. Now I love it. I've never had any problems with it and it installs amazingly in my van. We're waiting on one for the littlest now, and then over the summer will be getting 2 more for Daddy's truck

NannyMom

I have one because it makes 3 across work in my 3rd row. But I HATE it. If the harness was easier I might love it though.

Pixels

When I bought, I believed that it was the best seat for us and what we wanted from a seat. When I replaced one a year later (crashed), I replaced it with the same because I still believed that. About nine months after that, it overreclined in my car and went on hiatus until I had DS and DD moved outboard. Now both Radians are in use and I wouldn't mind having another.

I have pre-SL models with 40 pound limits, no loosening or harness issues.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC