Monterey side wings opening, safety hazard?

Notaclue

We have only had our Montery a couple of months, and already the wings are popping open. I noticed it for the first time yesterday. I was driving with the kids in the car, and when I looked in my mirror I noticed the seat all of a sudden looked HUGE. When we stopped, I checked it, and sure enough, the sides had totally expanded. DS is a skinny kid, but the seat belt fit still looked fine. I readjusted the seat, but I think today the wings have expanded some again. Is this a safety issue? Should I bother to contact Sunshine Kids?

ADS

mama2girls

Can you tell why they are expanding? If something appears broken I would contact SKJP; especially since it's so new.

Keeanh

Most of them do it. It's hard to say if it's a danger or not. SKJP says it's fine, uh, like that's reassuring :rolleyes:. If you phone them they might send you a new back which may or may not do the same thing.

Notaclue

Yeah I had heard that SK didn't really do much about the problem, and doesn't really seem to care, so wasn't sure if I wanted to bother with them or not. It has NEVER been adjusted because it fit ds right out of the box, so there's no reason it should pop open. If it's not an actual safety issue I probably won't waste my time with them, but if it IS a problem then it's worth fighting about kwim? I DO hate that I paid so much for a booster that doesn't actually work properly though.

Kat_Momof3

I don't think it would be a safety issue (if the headrest was raising up/lowering down on it's own, that is one I could see being a safety issue), but it would still be annoying to me... as I like a child to be very fitted in their booster.

I had the opposite problem in my captain's chairs because of how they curved out, until Jeffrey got wide enough to just use the widest setting... but it wasn't as severe as what you're describing, either.

I think what is happening is that somehow, the knob is being turned in the back... from pressure against the vehicle seat.

Since it's not severely altering the seat, what I'd probably do is take the seat out, turn it around, and put one piece of duct tape on either side next to the actual handle for turning... to attempt to keep it in place.

unless a tech thinks that is just a bad idea.

Notaclue

Well I emailed them about it, and we will see what they say. I think if I had known the type of customer service SSK had I wouldn't have given them my money at all.

Kat_Momof3

Russ has advised people to fix this with duct tape in the past. It's his answer to everything!

true, but this would be the ONE time where I think it would be acceptable... and do some good.

unless the seat has a faulty knob and needs the back portion replaced.

Notaclue

Finally got an email back today, and they are going to send a new back for our Monterey. Hopefully this one won't do the same thing. One can hope, right?

Kat_Momof3

well, good, at least they continue to stand by seats themselves... so far it's just their latch straps and the parts for those they don't stand by.

Seriously, I'm very happy for you, because I think that's what they should do... just can't expect good from them anymore.

Which is sad because the Monterey is still one of my favorite boosters of all time.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC