Using your seats at a cert. course

cmm7

So, I have been in touch with my instructor and she asked me to bring the TF, Regent, and Frontier. She also added that they can't take responsibility if the seats get damaged. Is this likely to happen? I don't mind them using them but I would hate for them to be broken. They won't be, right?

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I have lent mine for tech class, but they never said that. If I thought they might get hurt, I wouldn't lend them out.

Pixels

If they won't take responsibility for damage to my seat, they can take responsibility for providing their own seats. :twocents:

If you tell them that only instructors can handle your seats, they should be safe. They can show the class, but students will not have the opportunity to install in vehicles (and drop/break them).

hrice

If they won't take responsibility for damage to my seat, they can take responsibility for providing their own seats. :twocents:

If you tell them that only instructors can handle your seats, they should be safe. They can show the class, but students will not have the opportunity to install in vehicles (and drop/break them).

:yeahthat:

They asked you to provide them but said they won't be responsible?! Crazy. I wouldn't.

bccrst

They could be. Remember, your class will likely have a lot of people in it who are not "seat savy", and could accidently damage your seats. I can tell you that the seats were most definately not treated gently by most of the students in my cert class...All it would take is a drop from a vehicle etc. The fact that your instructor clearly told you they wouldn't be responsible for damage is worrisome...if she wants to use YOUR seats to teach HER class, then she should be prepared to replace them if they are damaged in doing so. :twocents:

ETA: Apparently I type slowly! LOL

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
I let people use my seats at my class one one of mine got broken. They did replace it for me but of course, it was with a program seat and I had a nicer seat (not a Britax or anything but my seat did have padding). My seat was still useable in FF mode (the recline foot broke) so I just sold the program seat and saved the $$ to buy a seat I needed later. Just a month later, my dh totalled my car so insurance bought me a comperable seat.

So yes, your seats can get damaged and they will likely not replace or not with anything comperable. I'd say for display only, NOT to be installed by students (if you take them at all).

cmm7

Ok, I e-mailed back adding the part about instructor use only. I had e-mailed her casually just as a hello and asking about the class and had included which seats I had. She had then replied it would be nice to have those ones there. I sent her an e-mail back specifying use by instructors only. As long as she agrees I won't have any problem bringing them.

Thanks!

christineka

After my tech course, I'd only let them borrow my seats for display purposes only. They do not teach proper care of cars seats- only proper use and installation. I had to tell a guy in my group not to carry the nautilus by the harness. The seats were carried out and then not so gently dropped on the ground. Some had broken eps foam and their covers were falling off.

rodentranger

I have lent mine for tech class, but they never said that. If I thought they might get hurt, I wouldn't lend them out.

I think it's area specific. I had no qualms at all about using my seats in the class(es) I took. My instructors knew they were being used to actually transport my children and didn't let non-instructors play with them, just look at them.
Both of my vehicles were used in my class. They had me remove my seats and set them aside while other people were in my car. It was no big deal.

Pixels

eeek! part of my program requirement is they get to use my van...its packed full of seats...:eek:

Nobody was required to let them use their personal vehicle, but they did *ask that everybody make them available. Many of the people in the class were on-duty police, with cruisers, which couldn't be used. Also, having a variety of vehicles to choose from increases the likelihood that they will have different belt types available.

If I was you, I would definitely take my personal seats out. Actually, that's what I did. They need the seats out anyway for students to do practice installs.

ctbcleveland

My vehicle was used, but not my seats.

None of us were gentle to the seats we used in class, so I'd be very scared about mine being used by the students.

christineka

We were advised to clear out our vehicles so they could be used for installation and looking at the seatbelts. I took 3 car seats out of my van and we had plenty of room for installs. Generally, you aren't going to have more than two car seats being installed in the same car at the same time. I was asked to bring in my bodyguard to show the class, but it was just for demo- no students got to touch it.

morninglori

My vehicle was used, but not my seats.

None of us were gentle to the seats we used in class, so I'd be very scared about mine being used by the students.

This was my experience as well. Some students broke the recline feet of a brand new MyRide - they were able to call Graco and get the instructor a replacement at the end of class.

My car was used for every exercise. I ended up uninstalling my seats and having them out of the way so they wouldn't get damaged.

babygirlsmom1005

The last check I went too, none of the techs had seen any of my seats but one (Cosco Scenera). I had to show them a few tricks to them to make it easier for installing/uninstalling (like the flaps on the TFP to access the lock offs, the recline foot on the Frontier had to be forward when using harness, etc...).

I know 2 different techs were playing with my seats, I didn't mind, but I kept a close eye on everyone, I didn't want anything damaged (showed up with 4 different seats + a doll car seat that was installed)....but this was at a actual check and not in a class.

mom2olivia

I let them use my frontier85 and they used my van a LOT. They never told me that though. I just told my instructor not to drop it and to treat it carefully. Students didn't install it though they used it for us to identify errors with installation/useage error.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC