Making friend ride boostered in our car...

mom2juliarose

Tomorrow night DD's school is having a roller skating night. I got in touch with DD's friend's mom to see if they were going and she said yes, but asked if we could carpool because she (the mom) has a broken foot. So of course I said OK. Now, I know for a fact that DD's friend doesn't ride in a booster seat, because last time DD went over for a playdate the mom was planning to take them for donuts, so I left DD's Turbobooster with them, and the girl was commenting to DD about how she doesn't ride in a booster seat anymore. Thankfully her mom stepped in and was like, "Different parents do different things for their kids. That's OK."

So anyway, tomorrow night we'll be in MY car. I need to get 3-across which I'm pretty sure will work with DD's HBTB, the Snugride in the center, and then a TB for her friend outboard. I have a HBTB but the girl is tall--a whole head taller than DD--and not used to riding in a booster--is it terrible of me to just put her in a backless? I won't allow her to ride in nothing.

Also, I'd like to just say something to the mom about, "She needs to ride in a booster in my car because she doesn't pass the 5-step test." and I figure mom will ask me what that is. Is there a brochure or something I can print and have on-hand for her to use?

ADS

mish

Putting her in a backless is perfectly fine. Not sure about brochure but I'm sure someone can help!

mlohry

I always use no back boosters for my son's friend's, family who are over 8, it's just easier and I have extra.

T4K

I would totally make it a non-issue. Just have the backless waiting in your car. If the child says something, just tell her that you don't want to move it and it's only a short ride anyway. She's going to want to go skating so she probably won't resist. I would avoid saying stuff about how it's more safe because I wouldn't want her questioning her mom's decisions. If mom says anything, I would casually just say you take extra care in transporting other people's children and you would hate for anything to happen to precious Jane. Then make casual mention of the 5-step test. And you can also add in a little comment about how $13 for a booster won't break the bank so it's not a problem for me.

sunnymw

I make it a non issue. I have had 4-6yos ride harnessed with me when they are in nothing elsewhere. You know, because "its hard for me to move the seat around and it fits you just great!" (Nevermind the fact that I uninstall, change harness height, reinstall...:whistle:)

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
I have made kids ride in a booster that don't in their own cars. Its just not an option. They have to be safely restrained.

Stefanie - CPStech in Iowa

Kat_Momof3

unless she fits the seatbelt, I'd tell her she needs to use a booster (and props to her mom for giving the right response)

if she asks why, pull out the booster, show her why... show her how the seatbelt fits without the booster, then with it.

mom2juliarose

Oh it's pretty much a non-issue, I'm just saying, Mom will be riding in the car with us and I know she'll ask why I'm asking her DD to ride in a booster. So I thought it would be a great time to just mention the 5-step test to her so she knows.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC