Question when do u turn your kiddo FF?

lovemybabies924

i have DS RF and he says his legs fall asleep, is that something u turn FF for? hes 3 1/2 (4 in august) but hes only 31lbs or so..

ADS

lanwenyi

DD rides ffing in DH's convertible (keyed switch for the airbag). She started at 3.5 and 28-9ish lbs. That was our min for ffing. She rides rfing in all other cars.

She'll prob switch to ffing in the daycare van at 4yo if she weighs at least 30lbs and they or she requests it. Once she is at least 4 and 30lbs, she'll get some input. As long as she doesn't request otherwise, she'll stay rfing in our cars until she outgrows her seats (or DS needs them).

ETA: DD rides ffing at car events where they provide the carseat (and Safekids CPSTs install). She complains that her legs fall asleep then. Turning him will likely make the legs falling asleep issue worse, not better.

babygirlsmom1005

Madeline was able to rear face until last month at 5.5 years old. At 5 she would go back and forth between Forward and Rear and complains about her legs Forward Facing. She does her best to it "criss cross apple sauce" in her Frontier but has even said she wants to rear face again (outgrew her Radian XT by height RF'ing) due to she slept better and had a place to put her feet.

lovemybabies924

am i allowed to recline the captains chair seat and then install? he was FF before and i turned him again because im a safety freak haha his legs fell asleep FF when he had his legs crossed, but he was fine if he didnt cross

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Yeah, recline the seatback a notch or two, as long as you still get a solid install, it's safe, and he'll appreciate the extra couple inches (I was able to keep my girls RF for a LOT longer, comfortably, in the minivan than in our 'no-recline' sedan and SUV!)

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
I'm the oddball here....I'm not a diehard rf to the max kind of person/parent/CPST. My personal goal with dd is 3yrs. If she outgrows the BV before then, I will not replace it. I have Radian's, but they do not work well in my vehicle rf'ing.

aeormsby

My goal with both kids was 3yo, and if they really wanted to FF after that I'd turn them. They both hit 30/32lb with in a couple months after turning 3 and we have older 33lb RF MA's so both were turned within a couple months of turning 3.

jenfrogmom

My personal goal for Myles is 4. That is why I bought the MT. I think I would be tempted to turn him forward sooner if he didn't have the MT.

cryswilkins

I am late to the party here, but I turned DD at 3. I was hugely pregnant with DS and I could not pretzel her in anymore. 3 was my goal and I was fine with that decision for my family and situation. She was only 31 to 32lbs. I am not a die hard, rear-face until they are 8 if they fit kind of person.

hrice

With my first I turned him right at one. That was 2002 and I didn't know any better.

My goal with C & P is 5 yrs old. I feel pretty confident we will make it.

momtotwogirls

My rule is 4 AND 30lbs unless they outgrow all rear facing options before then. My oldest is 35lbs and 4 and she switches between rear and forward facing. My youngest is 2 and 27lbs she will be able to decide when she turns 4, I figure by then she will be about 35-37lbs and likely the Frontier will become hers.

Mom2three

I let my DD start riding FF when she turned 4 in January. She was 30lbs and had been complaining loudly for months about RF. In the TF her back and legs hurt, in the RN she was laying back too much, blah blah blah. With DS my goal is 4 as well. I am sure with the seats available today we won't have a problem reaching that goal, even if he is bigger than DD.

Oh, and DD has been riding RF in am XTSL for the last week per her request.

lil.miss32

I'm not sure I'll EVER turn them! LOL. They are so much louder when their voice projects to the front versus the back. Hahaha!

simplychels

Not something I'd turn FF'ing over, nope. DD has been ff'ing once and she bawled almost the entire trip because her legs hurt. But eh she was over 4 and asked to FF so I reluctantly let her for 1 ride. She begged to go back rf'ing.

Not sure if you can see it in my sig pic, but her knees don't hit the edge of the seat so it forced her legs to be at a very uncomfy angle while FF'ing. and she's too short to prop her legs up on the front seat the way she does while RF'ing. So in our situation FF'ing would make sleepy legs worse because of the pressure on her legs. Just something to keep in mind.

eta: I see you've found a solution that is working right now. Thats great.

canadiangie

I turned oldest dd at 4.5 yo. She's turning 5 next month and is begging to go RF again. She insists on using her sisters RF rn instead of her fn. So now I'm contemplating an SL for her, I guess. Geesh.

But to answer your question, I waited until after age 4 with my dd. I turned her because I felt comfortable with it.

scoutingbear

With A, he was 3 when he came to us, so FF. ;) With C, we RF'd until 25 months when he outgrew the MA and Radian by weight (33lb seats was what was out at the time). M? Who knows. Haven't thought that far ahead. I know that it will be a long, long, long time before she reaches 40 pounds and she has NO torso. Still wears 3 month onesies. :whistle:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC