Two Keyfit Questions

tl01

The manual says it is optional to lock the belt when using the lap/shoulder belt in the lockoff. For those of you who have used the KeyFit Lockoff, did you lock the belt or not?

Also, I didn't see anything in the manual about it being okay or not to have the base hang off the seat a little. I'm assuming that if it is on more than 80% that it is okay. Right?

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I still lock the belt.

I go with 80%.

Yes, I am stalking you.

Yes, I got your email.

tl01

I still lock the belt.

I go with 80%.

Yes, I am stalking you.

Yes, I got your email.

Should have just texted you... but didn't want to bother you! Ha!

I'm wondering if the back seats of my cousin's car have seat belts that tighten during a crash... if they do... wouldn't it be better not to lock it?

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Good question. Won't it be the same either way? Geez, this is just like out texts.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
tl01 said:

I'm wondering if the back seats of my cousin's car have seat belts that tighten during a crash... if they do... wouldn't it be better not to lock it?

I'm not sure I understand the question. All belts lock in a crash.

I typically don't lock the belt when using lockoffs.

Pixels

Locking the belt won't prevent the pretensioner from functioning. Remember, we say "lock" but really it's "one-way, retract only."

mish

No, I don't lock the belt when using a lockoff. That is what the lockoff is for. Also, 80% on the seat is fine.

TXDani

Senior Community Member
I don't lock the seatbelt when using lock-offs. For some reason since I can't pull the belt all tight it bothers me so I leave them unlocked.:rolleyes:

tl01

I'm not sure I understand the question. All belts lock in a crash.

I typically don't lock the belt when using lockoffs.

I guess Pixels answered my question. I didn't want to prevent the pretensioner from working if I locked the belt. I do worry about eventually tipping though.

Pixels

As long as the lockoff in the base is functioning properly, the base won't tilt. If the lockoff isn't holding, that's a whole 'nother issue.

tl01

The base is rock solid and holding so I'm just going to have them leave it as it is. I was just wondering the logic behind the option belt locking. Thanks:).

Kat_Momof3

I would lock the belt... to prevent my kiddo getting it's foot wrapped around it and then having the belt lock... possibly doing so with the belt around the foot, leg, arm, or even neck.

tl01

I would lock the belt... to prevent my kiddo getting it's foot wrapped around it and then having the belt lock... possibly doing so with the belt around the foot, leg, arm, or even neck.

That might be a good reason once my cousin's baby is bigger... She's still in utero and might be on the small side.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC