3 car seats in 2008 Toyota Highlander

Status
Not open for further replies.

mommaof3girls

Ok I have a major problem. We have 3 car seats and a 2008 Toyota Highlander with 3rd row seating.

Biggest problem: The back seat doesnt have a latch system or belts that operate well with a car seat. It has an additional attachment that can come apart but doesnt allow for a car seat to be placed.

Third Problem: There is an additonal seat in the 2nd row which can be used but we have 2 large convertible car seats (Evenflo Triumph) and then a chicco keyfit 30 infant seat. We cannot fit all car seats in the back with the 2nd row or third row.

What my question is is that if we can turn off the airbags in the front passenger seat. Could we possibly put my oldest in the car seat up front or would that be illegal even if the airbags were disabled and the car seat in place.

Please provide any advice due to this is a main part of our transportation.

ADS

scoutingbear

There are many, many combinations of 3 across that can be done in a Toyota Highlander. I have an '05 and I believe the '08 is the same body, if not the newer, slightly wider version. You may need to get a new seat or 2 but you can do 3 across in the middle row. The backseat can accommodate seats as well, but it is much harder to install them. Getting a new seat would be cheaper than a new vehicle. ;)

It would help to know the ages of the children, what seats they currently ride in, and whether they are rear facing (RF) or forward facing (FF). I currently have a RF seat and 2 large seats (Graco Nautilus and Britax Frontier 85) in my middle row, so, yes, it is doable with lots of options! :D Once I know whether your seats are FF or RF, I can recommend new seats (if needed) and which order to put them in...believe it or not, that sometimes makes all the difference.

You can not turn off the airbags in the front and no reputable mechanic will do it for you.

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
We can totally help you figure out your situation, but need more info. Carseats? Ages of kiddos? Weights? Torso heights?

Stefanie - CPStech in Iowa

U

Unregistered

Its Mommaof3girls... anyways I have 2 ff evenflo triumph with a chicco keyfit 30 rf... we were thinking of getting 2 radians for the ff kids... which would be better since they are smaller seats.
Right now we have 2 radians and the chicco 3 across in my Impala but we are thinking its gonna be the same configuration with the Highlander at this point.
Kinda annoying we have to spend 600 dollars extra on seats because the 3rd row belts and no latch.

scoutingbear

You CAN install seats in the 3rd row. Well, unless you are in Canada because of no tether anchors back there. I would use a lower profile seat in the rear but really, it is safer to have seats tethered so here are some configurations that may work for you. It would really help to know the ages of your kids though!

baby is melting down...be back later with some configurations for you. but you won't NEED to get 2 radians

All configurations are from passenger side to drivers side (the 60/40 split does make a difference on the order of putting the seats). All are installed with seatbelt unless otherwise specified. These are configurations that I have done or think might work.

1. FF Britax Marathon, RF Radian, FF Graco Nautilus
2. RF My Ride, RF keyfit (baseless), FF Nautilus
3. FF Radian, FF Nautiuls, Keyfit (installed with LATCH)
4. FF Nautilus, RF Radian, FF Frontier (current set up)
5. FF Triumph, Keyfit (might have to do baseless), FF Triumph (might not work due to the bowl shape of the triumph though)
6. FF Triumph, FF Radian, Keyfit (should be able to do with LATCH)

You might also want to look at a Maestro in place of where I have put the Nautilus. I believe it is a bit thinner. Are you set on the keyfit or you might want to look at doing a rear facing radian instead or a coccoro in its place. I have found the infant seats with the base to be wider and harder to get 3 across than doing the convertible seat for the infants. We do foster respite a lot, so I have had the chance to do many configurations! This weekend I'll be doing 3 RF across plus a RF CCO in the 3rd row if I can get it tight!

Last edited:

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
The impala is really wide. I would use the radians in the highlander and use the EFTA in the impala. Or get some cheaper seats for the impala.

My sis has done ra, ra, turbo. And turbo, nautilus, turbo in her impala.

Stefanie - CPStech in Iowa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC