Question One more shot, does he fit?

mlohry

I finally got a head on shot of oldest DS in our old car in the GN. Do you think he has outgrown this seat. It's being used with an 86 Y as the old car only has lap belts. If he fits, will he make it thru the Summer? This car is only used in the Summer.

ADS

mlohry

Would help if I attached the pic...

Not sure what was up with the faces, DH took the pics.

Last edited:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
He fits right NOW. I don't know that he'll make it through the summer. Depends how he grows.

mlohry

ketchupqueen said:
He fits right NOW. I don't know that he'll make it through the summer. Depends how he grows.

It's his shoulders right? They are too close to the guides right? They need to be below? Do you think I should just order a different booster and forget about it?

mommycat

I'm confused. :confused: Is the 86Y threaded through the harness slots? I'm almost sure it isn't... (they aren't up that high, right?)

While I can't really tell what the harness is doing it does seem like it is still angling upwards off his shoulders. I don't know how the 86Y is supposed to work exactly but I am guessing that it should be ok so long as his shoulders are below the top of the vehicle seat where the harness wraps down to a tether anchor? As far as Nauti shell height he has tons of room before the tips of his ears are above the top of the shell. Unless I am wrong about how the 86Y needs to fit then I would think he still fits with ~1-2" of torso room to grow...

mommycat

If you are not using the shoulder belt guides for positioning a belt, then I am not sure it matter as much if the guides are just so wrt his shoulders. Also, it looks like he still has some room before they reach the bottom of the belt guides. I wouldn't buy a booster until he was right on the verge, since there is at least a chance he would be fine for the summer. :shrug:

flipper68

Senior Community Member
To me, it looks like he's pulling his shoulders higher than they "normally" are. It's the "my harness is too tight" look that kids do when they aren't accustomed to a snug harness - "If I raise my shoulders and pooch out my stomach, the harness is too tight."

I'd be curious to see a photo when he wasn't posing for the camera. It looks fine, but one never knows how a kid will grow. . .could be 2 weeks or a year B4 he grows that last 1" of torso.

Reassure yourself by checking the manual - do the shoulders have to be completely below the red guides or is "at the shoulders" okay?

mlohry

mommycat said:
If you are not using the shoulder belt guides for positioning a belt, then I am not sure it matter as much if the guides are just so wrt his shoulders. Also, it looks like he still has some room before they reach the bottom of the belt guides. I wouldn't buy a booster until he was right on the verge, since there is at least a chance he would be fine for the summer. :shrug:

I thought the same thing, if we weren't using the shoulder belt guides, no shoulder belts, the 86 Y just comes from behind the headrest, but when I posted a side shot ketchupqueen said it didn't matter if he wasn't using them, he still needed to be I believe below the shoulder belt guides due to booster regulation. At least that's what I understood. I want to use the seat correctly, I just need to know if he needs a different booster now, or if we can stall off till next summer.

Jillybeans5

It looks like he is pulling his shoulders up a bit, but I still think that unless he has one heck of a huge growth spurt it will fit through the summer.

mlohry

I took a couple more, they are not real clear, took 1 thru the window to get a straight on shot. He seems better in these.

Last edited:

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I think that once the shoulder guides interfere with the placement of the harness is when you need to stop using it. The belt guide rule is to ensure proper placement of the shoulder belt. Since they aren't being used, they don't really apply unless they are causing a problem. IMO, unless he has a crazy growth spurt, you'll be fine through the summer, maybe longer.

mlohry

So to clarify rules of the GN I called Graco and because we are no longer using the 5 pt harness of the GN due to him being too tall, but we are using the 86 Y harness or we could use the lap/ shoulder belt his shoulders don't matter where they are, it falls to the top of his ears need to stay within the top of the head rest. So I think we are good, everyone agree by looking at pics? He seems to have plenty of head room, probably will continue to for some time.

Kat_Momof3

I'm just confused to how the 86-Y is routed... is it through the harness slots or the space between the headrest and the rest of the seat?

I'd probably route them around the bars, running under the red belt guides... and eventually through the belt guides as he gets older... he does still have some room, though.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I'm just confused to how the 86-Y is routed... is it through the harness slots or the space between the headrest and the rest of the seat?

I'd probably route them around the bars, running under the red belt guides... and eventually through the belt guides as he gets older... he does still have some room, though.

The harness is routed around the "neck" of the GN. She should NOT route them through the belt guides at any point. Doing so could result in the belt guides breaking and the pieces being driven into his shoulders or neck in a crash. It would be like loops of plastic around the harness of a 5 pt seat.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
So to clarify rules of the GN I called Graco and because we are no longer using the 5 pt harness of the GN due to him being too tall, but we are using the 86 Y harness or we could use the lap/ shoulder belt his shoulders don't matter where they are, it falls to the top of his ears need to stay within the top of the head rest. So I think we are good, everyone agree by looking at pics? He seems to have plenty of head room, probably will continue to for some time.

Based on that you have time with the 86-Y but they are wrong on the 3 point belt. So you can continue to use it in this vehicle, but he shouldn't be using it in others once he's above those guides.

mlohry

ketchupqueen said:
Based on that you have time with the 86-Y but they are wrong on the 3 point belt. So you can continue to use it in this vehicle, but he shouldn't be using it in others once he's above those guides.

Ok, well maybe we will hold out for this Summer. He ONLY uses this seat in the classic car. He normally uses an Amp, but I wanted more SIP in the classic car. I know not to route the 86 Y thru the belt guides, I don't even know if you could, it just slips over the neck of the booster. We could use it with a no back booster, but I like the extra head support and protection.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC