Am I missing something?

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
I posted this picture of my son on Facebook:

231127_10150171608618924_511388923_7007856_76073_n.jpg

And received this comment:
Just FYI...since I can't tell from the picture. It's important to have at least an inch between the car seat and the seat behind it. So if there is an impact, both seats have impact room to move, otherwise the person in the seats take the impact :(

This is how I replied:
I'm a CPST... and neither Honda (the car is a 98 CRV) nor Sunshine Kids disallow bracing of the Radian against the vehicle seat unless the front vehicle seat is changing the angle of the Radian (it's not). I installed the Radian with the pa...ssenger seat moved forward, and once the proper install was achieved, put the passenger seat back in position. In a lot of newer cars they cannot touch because of advanced airbag systems that have sensors in the seats, but there's no reason they can't touch in this vehicle with this car seat.

Is the 1 inch thing an old guideline or just a myth? Something I'm missing?

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Evenflo requires 1.5 inches of clearance with their infant seats, and some seats don't allow touching, but other than that, no, there's no such requirement.

Shanora

Maybe they just assumed that because you need 1.5" of clearance with the handle from the Evenflo bucket, you need that much for every seat.

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
Evenflo requires 1.5 inches of clearance with their infant seats, and some seats don't allow touching, but other than that, no, there's no such requirement.

Do the Evenflo convertibles require that? Or just the infant seats? I haven't read through an Evenflo manual in a while.

KaiLing

Hey, the silver lining is that you have friends who care, even if they're under informed! I'm debating saying something about a facebook photo of my cousin's newborn's straps being loose. I don't want to be overly pushy but I don't want to not say something if it really is an issue of them not knowing. I'm signed up to take the CPST course in June so I might just wait...

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
She said she can't tell from the picture, just felt like the information was important to share.

OP, maybe post some crash testing videos, that show everything moving in the same direction and this 'impact' worry is not a worry at all?

Last edited:

Kat_Momof3

tell her thanks for the concern, but you've done your research and that's only required with evenflo infant seats or certain vehicles (usually ones with advanced airbags)

babyherder

Tell her you appreciate her concern and that its true in some cases but not this one. She at least was concerned and said something. She cares. :):)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC