New MT photos / questions / squeeee!

KaiLing

It's here it's here it's here! And takes up so much less room than the Radian. Yay! (Seriously, people, I need a hobby.)

Too many photos, they're on flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/90991238@N00/sets/72157626559080377/with/5704159830/

I tried to install it behind the driver's seat in the Mazda 3 just for fun, I plan to put it behind the passenger seat, but I'm solo parenting until Thursday and don't want to mess with the Radian.

So, problems:
1. he's on the second to highest harness height (since it's supposed to be above or even). This freaks me out. But they don't grow that much, right? I didn't just waste a crapload of money, right?! I expect him to be 55 lbs right after his 5th birthday and 125 cm right after his 6th, so I think he'll be out of it be weight first anyway. But he's all torso...

2. the belt stock and the locking clip don't appear to play well together. I think I'm allowed three full turns, correct? Even with it twisted it's all bunched up under the clip. If the clips just don't work in the Mazda, should I be using the locking seat belt (ie pull it out all the way, it locks, you push it down, that thing) or one of the clippy things? I've never installed with the seat belt in the Mazda, and the Honda always needs the clippy things.

3. I'm still supposed to compress the seat like other seats, right? It's basically the same until I get to the leg and tether, yes?

4. Can I put a towel there to protect the seat back? Like around the head rest and then under the seat?

Thanks, I'm posting this on chat since the install photos aren't of a real install and I don't want to bug anyone...

ADS

Laurelz

"seriously, people, I need a hobby" (made me chuckle, lol)

It looks nice! :) I was curious, what is the bar for behind it that goes down to the floor?

KaiLing

I was curious, what is the bar for behind it that goes down to the floor?

It braces it. Other (cheaper, grr) Swedish seats brace against the seat or the front dashboard (they can turn off their airbags so they can have their babies in the front). It looks weird at first, but makes sense to me, since my Radian just loses its angle no matter what I do with a big old kid in it.

sunnymw

1. I have seen many references saying that you can use the MT with the tips of the ears rule, meaning the harness could be slightly below.

4. Yes.

scariestone

1-Kids tend to gain about an inch or less of torso a year and the MT can be used with the harness below the shoulders when RF if necessary.
2-You don't have to use the lockoffs. If you have ALR belts, just pull it all the way out to switch the retractor and let it ratchet back in.
3-Basically the same, except you don't have to have less than 1" of movement just from locking the lockoffs/locking the belt. Its less than one inch after its completely installed.
4-You can use a thin towel or receiving blanket under the seat to protect the car's seat if you want.

LuvMyCharlie

How long did it take to get to you once shipped? Mine shipped out on Friday so I'm anxiously twiddling my thumbs.

KaiLing

How long did it take to get to you once shipped? Mine shipped out on Friday so I'm anxiously twiddling my thumbs.

Shipped 4/27, arrived US 5/3, got to my door 5/7 (but I wasn't here to sign!), got to me 5/9 after I picked it up at the post office. I had to de-box it to get it in the Mazda's trunk. There was a big old hole in the box, but it seems mostly ok. There was bubble wrap and plastic around the seat.

I'm really excited! It just looks like it fits him so much better than the Radian, thanks to the bracing leg. My initial impression is that it's totally for a kid of his size the way the US seats aren't. But I can't really do much with the spouse gone and the monitor not stretching out to the car. Stupid cancer, taking husbands away to help with mothers in law. Don't you know I've got a Swedish car seat here, cancer?!

HEVY

Are you supposed to use the foot prop and top tether at the same time or were you just trying them out? And what is that belt around the foot prop? Whoa, wait, are there two top tethers?

KaiLing

Are you supposed to use the foot prop and top tether at the same time or were you just trying them out? And what is that belt around the foot prop? Whoa, wait, are there two top tethers?

Yup, both at the same time: two tethers and a leg. It's wild. There's a video here: http://www.carseat.se/swedish-car-seats/installation-videos/britax-multi-tech/

I really thought it was weird until I unwrapped it, and now I'm like, duh, brace a seat with a big kid in it so it doesn't do what the Radian does with the angle.

scariestone

The loop around the footprop is to keep it from swinging out too far. Its supposed to be as close to a 100 degree angle as possible. The footprop reduces downward rotation in a crash and the dual tethers reduce rebound. I adore the seat, its built like a tank and compared to the radian its downright light.

emtb79

I so want to get one but have no need and I think my mom would kill me if I spent that much on a seat, without an absolute need for one.

NicoleCPST

Senior Community Member
How big is your son? height, weight, torso?

Did the manual have an English translation? if not, where did you get installation instructions?

how do you like it compared to the Radian? What does your son think of it?

I'm just a bit curious! lol We are considering getting one as well.

laccaycol

Just be careful with the tethers around the seat track like that if you move your seat back and forth you can end up cutting them. I had mine around the seat infront not the seat track let me see if i can find a pic of it for you.

laccaycol

ok not sure if you can tell or not, also have to becareful of movin the seat this way too cuz if you move it back it will make the teathers loose but if you try to move it forward you might not be able to lol.
Multitech004-1.jpg

KaiLing

ok not sure if you can tell or not, also have to becareful of movin the seat this way too cuz if you move it back it will make the teathers loose but if you try to move it forward you might not be able to lol.
Multitech004-1.jpg

Oh, thanks for the photos! I didn't try tethering it that way because its final destination is behind the passenger seat, and the advanced airbags gave me pause (also why we bought the MT over the TWE, actually). Do you have advanced airbags in the seat that's behind? Or is that the driver's seat? I have the Radian tethered behind the passenger seat now, and I think we'll be OK--somehow the passenger tether isn't across the slide like it is in the driver's seat.

KaiLing

That seat looks awesome! If you don't mind me asking how much was it shipped and what site did you buy it from? :)

Yup, carseat.se, and my final cost was $611. Yikes! Tax rebate gone! He charges about $100 for shipping. I bought it in between two sales, though, I think right now Hakan has some for less, bringing the total to under $600. I feel stupid for missing the sale but whatever. It took over 2 weeks to get here.

KaiLing

How big is your son? height, weight, torso?

Did the manual have an English translation? if not, where did you get installation instructions?

how do you like it compared to the Radian? What does your son think of it?

I'm just a bit curious! lol We are considering getting one as well.

(Must learn to quote more than one post...)

My kiddo is nearing 39" tall, hovering around 37-38 lbs, and has a ginormous 17" torso. He's 2 years and 4 months. We're the biggest people around (his dad is 6'9," my MIL is 6' and I'm a pee-wee at 5'9"). I think he'll outgrow the MT at around his 5th birthday by weight (I'm using the WHO charts to guess), and won't approach the height by then, but we'll see, especially since he's all torso.

I haven't properly installed it yet, so he hasn't ridden in it. He's an easy going kid and is excited about it, but you never know, he might hate it. He's sat in it happily, though. I'll let y'all know.

It fits the car SO MUCH BETTER than the Radian. I have a hell of a time getting the Radian to stay upright (not only is it not a great fit with the Mazda, he stands in it and looks over into the front seat, which affects the angle). We can't put the seat anywhere but behind the passenger seat (since we both drive) and with the Radian no one fits in the front passenger seat (except the dog in his harness). We've had one adult in the back with the kid basically his entire life, since we bought the Radian when he was 4 months old (and 22 lbs, thankyouverymuch).

I love many things about the Radian, its height (he's too tall for the Myride now and I think the Britaxes are about the same), its low sides (he can crawl in on his own), but I was faced with either buying another Radian that's basically the same seat and also won't fit in the car well, the XTSL, just for 5 more lbs or sucking it up and buying this and we just did it. I justify it because he's seriously North America's Largest Toddler. If I had a kid who could ride RF until age 4 in another seat I don't think I would have done it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC