What Seats to Take?

scoutingbear

I always to this to myself when I have more than 1 choice! At the end of the month, I am taking the kids on a 5 hour road trip. In my car, I just got a Frontier for C. A rides in a HB turbo and M is in the RF radian. Do I keep them like that? Do I put A in the Frontier (he just fits) for the ride and put in the GN or other radian for C? C has head slump in the GN. Don't know about the Frontier because he hasn't fallen asleep in it yet. He has a tiny bit of head slump in the radian. (He may lose room in the radian in my car though...not sure. he barely fits in the nanny's car). A remains upright when he sleeps and never has head slump, even when he has fallen asleep in the HB turbo. A often needs reminders to remain in position, especcially if they have toys or whatever in the car...which they will for this long of a trip. A did tell me the one time he rode in the Frontier that is was comfier than his turbo. Both the Frontier and GN have cupholders...but I also have in-door cupholders that A can use. C may throw a fit because the Frontier is his "race car driver seat" and he got to pick the color for it...

I am almost positive that if I keep M in the Radian that I can do both the Frontier and GN in the backseat.

(I will also be bringing the RSTV and maybe the harmony just for the 1-2 mile trips around the little town we are staying in when we carpool to the fairgrounds/swimming pool/etc. Then the boys can go with the other people that are staying with us if I stay back with M for some of the side trips.)

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Remember that the Radian allows use over the top slot if he's less than 53 inches tall, and that you can use the recline if you want to help prevent head slump.

How does A do on long trips sitting still? Asleep? Any chance he'll get upset and not want to behave, and it'll be better to have him in a harness? If so, I'd be harnessing him.

scoutingbear

I know the radian can be used over the top slots, but I'm sure I will have to hear about it not having a cup holder and not being able to reach the door ones from that seat. :rolleyes:

The car is the one place that A ALWAYS behaves. he is too scared of crashing and getting hurt not to. Yeah, he needs occasional reminders that he has to wait until we are stopped with the car off to get things from the ground (instead of leaning forward) but that is it. When he falls asleep, he remains straight upright. Always has. So, with the HB I'm not worried about him falling asleep either since he has never once fallen out of the head wings when asleep.

Maybe I should ask them what they think.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I'd say any of those options are fine. (I'm a big help :p)

If you're concerned about staying in position on a long trip, definitely go with a harness.

I'm not particularly concerned about head-slump unless it bothers the kid, which it usually doesn't.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I'd say any of those options are fine. (I'm a big help :p)

If you're concerned about staying in position on a long trip, definitely go with a harness.

I'm not particularly concerned about head-slump unless it bothers the kid, which it usually doesn't.

:yeahthat:

scoutingbear

You 2 are so helpful. :rolleyes: I guess I'll start with asking C what he wants then. If he chooses something other than the Frontier, then A will be harnessed. :evil grin: Just because I can. M gets no choice unless I want to drive myself batty and put the boys next to each other. Then I could do hte CCO for her outboard...but I am not crazy.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
What's the longest A has slept in the Turbo? I ask because when I take my boys on drives where they sleep only a little bit (say a 30 minute drive, where they fall asleep just 10-15 minutes from getting home) they can stay in position in certain seats. But when we take longer drives (like sleeping the last 45 mins of a 60 minute drive,) they fall into deeper sleep and then fall out of those same seats.

I would take whatever seats are most comfortable and supportive for them to sleep in. I'd probably lean towards harnessing A, but if you really think he has 5 hours of sit-still in him, then go for it with the HBTB. :)

Kat_Momof3

not just for sleeping, but comfy sleeping, this is what I'd do...

whatever seat fits with the boys' seats for M (probably the CCO)

Put A in the Frontier - tell C and show C that you are bringing a booster for when you get there, but that he needs something comfy to sleep in during the long trip

Put C in the Radian or maybe the myride - I see you have one and wonder if he'd fit... that would be one comfy and reclined ride

I would take a backless booster and the RSTV for the reasons you mentioned above and maybe a hbb for A to use once you get there.

scoutingbear

What's the longest A has slept in the Turbo? I ask because when I take my boys on drives where they sleep only a little bit (say a 30 minute drive, where they fall asleep just 10-15 minutes from getting home) they can stay in position in certain seats. But when we take longer drives (like sleeping the last 45 mins of a 60 minute drive,) they fall into deeper sleep and then fall out of those same seats.
He has done a 3 hour drive a few times in the turbo booster.
I would take whatever seats are most comfortable and supportive for them to sleep in. I'd probably lean towards harnessing A, but if you really think he has 5 hours of sit-still in him, then go for it with the HBTB. :)

not just for sleeping, but comfy sleeping, this is what I'd do...

whatever seat fits with the boys' seats for M (probably the CCO) Nope, CCO is a 2 person install with a locking clip in the center of my car. And a 2 person job to put back in dh's car in the center. :rolleyes: We do have a 2nd radian if C chooses that seat. :)

Put A in the Frontier - tell C and show C that you are bringing a booster for when you get there, but that he needs something comfy to sleep in during the long trip

Put C in the Radian or maybe the myride - I see you have one and wonder if he'd fit... that would be one comfy and reclined ride hahahaha. C outgrew the MR before we even got it. He is waaaay too tall for it! And we need the MR for when we get there for my parent's car. It is the only RF seat we have that fits in their '99 suburban (RF radian and RF CCO are both incompatible with the lap belt position we need her in)

I would take a backless booster and the RSTV for the reasons you mentioned above and maybe a hbb for A to use once you get there.

I think I will lean toward harnessing A, unless it becomes a bigger hassle than it is worth. I will let C pick his seat though. He is much more likely to be compliant if he gets to choose.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC