Anyone good at looking up laws???

becca011906

Senior Community Member
Need to find the Indiana Law for if it is or isn't legel for kids/teens to ride in the back of pick ups. I know they just passed the law for seatbelt required in truck plated/suv but i don't know when it goes into effect.

ADS

becca011906

Senior Community Member
So it doesn't talk about truck beds, but it does say if they are under 16 they are REQUIRED to use a proper seat belt... so i'm pretty sure the girls were under 16. I will foward this on to all the softball/baseball teams this weekend. I have always always hated seeing the kids in the back of trucks but we are a very rual area so it's often over looked. but i'm thinking they are passing a law soon in IN that says all trucks/suv with truck plates and thoes persons in the back of a regular car are now required to use a seat belt regardless of age, and making it illigal to transport anyone in the back of a truck w/ exception of parades... but i can't find that info when that becomes a new law or when it starts. i was thinking they could start thoes like Jan. 1st and July 1st. But that will work for now. :) Thanks!

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
It says they're required to be in a seatbelt if one is available. Could be a loophole (e.g., if the front is full, it's perfectly fine for the rest of the kids to be in the back). Of course, you don't have to mention that. ;)

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Everything depends on individual state laws.... Last I checked, in NY anyone can ride in the bed of a pickup unbelted so long as they're only traveling between farm fields -- which could be at up to 55 MPH depending *SIGH* Legislation just doesn't reflect safest practice.

My most recent Defensive Driving booklet says that being buckled increases your chance of surviving a crash by 75 times (not percent).

southpawboston

Everything depends on individual state laws.... Last I checked, in NY anyone can ride in the bed of a pickup unbelted so long as they're only traveling between farm fields -- which could be at up to 55 MPH depending *SIGH* Legislation just doesn't reflect safest practice.

My most recent Defensive Driving booklet says that being buckled increases your chance of surviving a crash by 75 times (not percent).

is that true for a regularly registered vehicle, or does that only apply to farm vehicle registrations? we owned several properties in upstate NY and had a farm license for an old pickup (cost $5/year)... it allowed use on public roads but only the "shortest distance" between the properties... it also exempted it from annual safety inspections and from requiring insurance! :eek:

beeman

Farm truck regulations are a little more lax than regular regulations. You don't need a class 1 to transport over 10,000lbs GVW with farm plates, but you do with every other class. You don't need an air brake ticket with farm class, but you do for all others. Farm vehicles don't need to be safetied every year up here, but neither do light passenger vehicles (only busses and commercial vehicles).

tjham

In AZ, several years ago, there was a big push to make it illegal for children to ride in the bed of a pick up. It looked like a sure thing but at the last minute, they voted against it because "the farmers and rual big families wouldn't like not being able have their kids ride in trucks"! I don't think anything else has been done about it *sigh* !

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC