Sienna or Tahoe for 8 passengers

ADS

JasonDallas

We'll probably have 5 rf and 1 ff. Is one a lot safer? Easier to load kids? More cargo room?

Thanks!

The Sienna has much more cargo room, especially with 6 aboard. With car seats, the Tahoe's lack of 2nd row legroom and knees up in the air of the 3rd row aren't really a negative, so it's just really whether you need the extra cargo room of the Sienna. There are lots of nitpicky pros and cons to each that would be important for day to day stuff, but those details depend on model years you're talking about.

Jason

Melodiya99

Thanks, that's really helpful! I think we'd appreciate the cargo room. We haven't seen either in person, so it's hard to know what kind of vehicle actually has more room:)

NVMBR02

My sister has a Tahoe (not the XL) and it was cramped when we had 5 kids in it last summer. I know we could have gotten one more child in the third row but it would have been tight. The trunk was packed full just for day trip to the beach.

Kegracin

I'm so not into vans, but in your case I'd go van. Without thinking twice.

:yeahthatlove:

I have a yukon (basically the same thing as a tahoe) and the cargo space not cool (we got it when we had two kids now we have three and I'm wishing for a sienna...)

Nisha

If you're considering a tahoe, there's no reason not to get the suburban or yukon XL instead for the cargo space! We have a Suburban and it holds 6 car seats well and has lots of cargo space, but it takes a long time to get that many kids buckled in there!

But really, for loading that many kids in, a minivan is SOOOO much easier!

It's not even close. Minivan has WAAAAYYYYY more room. Like Nisha said, if you insist on a suv, it's gotta be the Suburban size, but then you're talking a MUCH bigger vehicle overall. Still, if you're loading kids or old people, it's just easier with a minivan with the sliding doors and all that.

TXDani

Senior Community Member
The others are right the Tahoe has ZERO cargo room with the third row in use. If you get a Suburban or Yukon XL you'll have a ton of cargo room with the third row in use.

In your case I think you would be much better off with a minivan.

msg221

Sienna (or other minivan) for sure. I've had to load kids in both a Sienna and a Tahoe and it's much easier in the minivan, plus as others have said, the cargo room is better. I hate trying to get Katelyn & Owen in their seats in the Tahoe (2010) their parents have because they are in MR's and they sit up so high that it's a PIA to load them. As it is, I nearly bonk their heads every time trying to get them in. Nour & Zain's parents have a Sienna and it is so much easier.

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
I agree with the others. We had cargo issues with our minivan and went suv. We went suburban!! It was the only way to get our double stroller out at our destination. We LOVED our suburban, but now that we are done with strollers we went back to a minivan.

Stefanie - CPStech in Iowa

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
So 6 kids and 2 adults?

The previous generation Sienna (2004-2010) may work better for you than a new one. The 8th seat option is a much bigger and more functional 8th seat than the mini-seat in the 2011 model.

The 2011 Honda Odyssey has a larger 8th seat like the older Sienna CE and LE 8-passenger option. The one in the Odyssey is standard in EX trim and higher. I think the only thing that is really comparable for 8 functional seats and decent cargo space is a full size SUV like Suburban, but of course you lose a lot of fuel economy that way if that is an important factor.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC