definition of 3-in-1 seat?

KaiLing

I was perusing the AAP guidelines, and they define a 3-in-1 seat as a rear facing seat:
"There are 3 types of rear-facing car safety seats: infant-only seats, convertible seats, and 3-in-1 seats. When children reach the highest weight or length allowed by the manufacturer of their infant-only seat, they should continue to ride rear-facing in a convertible seat or 3-in-1 seat."
(from http://www.healthychildren.org/Engl...000&nfstatusdescription=ERROR:+No+local+token)

But the Graco Nautilus is called a 3 in 1 seat and it's forward facing only. Who's wrong here, the AAP or Graco? I think someone should tell one of them that they're confusing the bejezzus out of people. If it's the AAP, someone needs to change that web page. If it's Graco... well... I don't know.

ADS

mommyfrog

Graco for sure!! The other 3in1 seats have been out and marketed as 3in1 for quite some time. Then Graco comes along and calls the Nautilus a 3in1 when it doesn't do the same thing as all the others. Which would be why I had to explain to a mom and grandma in Target the other day that they couldn't buy a Nautilus for their 9 month old. I told them it doesn't rf and they said "But it says it's a 3in1". Yeah, Graco should change their marketing. Just drop the 3in1 and call it a "combination" or "harness to booster seat".

sunnymw

Both are right... technically... since the nautilus is a harnessed seat, HBB, and backless booster.

But I.hate that they call .it a three in one. The smart seat really is the three in one :)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
An awful lot of BRU shoppers return or seem really confused when they find out the Graco 3-in-1 doesn't RF. Even though it's in the *obviously labeled* 'Booster' section :rolleyes:
I'd like to beat Graco with a wet noodle for using the term, it's really a pain :thumbsdown:

KaiLing

Aaargh. Of course on that same page they also say
"All children 2 years or older, or those younger than 2 years who have outgrown the rear-facing weight or height limit for their car safety seat, should use a Forward-Facing Car Safety Seat with a harness"

which I think is just unintentionally bad wording, but technically means that the AAP thinks your kid should be switched around on his 2nd birthday.

(People who grade papers for a living should not read websites, clearly.)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
No, that's basically the wording. 2, unless you have a big kid in a tiny seat that outgrows it RF before 2 (like a 32 pound 18 month old in a ComfortSport)...they don't want to discriminate against seats that are on the market and/or not expiring for another 6 years with lower limits, and they don't want parents to misuse seats.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
joolsplus3 said:
No, that's basically the wording. 2, unless you have a big kid in a tiny seat that outgrows it RF before 2 (like a 32 pound 18 month old in a ComfortSport)...they don't want to discriminate against seats that are on the market and/or not expiring for another 6 years with lower limits, and they don't want parents to misuse seats.

I think she was commenting on the idea that kids should be turned at 2 (even if they haven't outgrown the seat).

PP, remember that we're dealing with people who don't even understand the importance of FF until 1, let alone 2. Even though it might not be absolute best practice, the clearer and easier-to-swallow the message, the better.

Plus, the AAP is working with data that shows benefits to 2, not beyond.

Ideally people will RF longer, but for now, I'm happy with that message for the general population. Baby steps.

KaiLing

That quote is buried. The wording is fine at the top. The thing most people will read says:
"All infants and toddlers should ride in a Rear-Facing Car Safety Seat until they are 2 years of age or until they reach the highest weight or height allowed by their car safety seat’s manufacturer."

I'm just being a compulsive paper grader.:)

Kat_Momof3

graco made a 3-in-1 seat that didn't exist before... a 3-in-1 means what it says... it is 3 seats in one

the nautilus is a 3-in-1 because it is 3 seats in one... it is a harnessed seat, it is a highback booster, and it is a backless booster.

just as the safety 1st Intera (if you remember it) was a 4-in-1... it was a rearfacing harnessed seat, a forward facing harnessed seat, a highback booster, and a backless booster.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC