saying goodbye to expired RA :(

2wild

I LOVED this seat.....but its expiring in July and we dont fit it anymore anyway, so I guess it's got to go. It breaks my heart - the seat still feels more solid than many I see out there. I really wish I could give it to our local family shelter but I imagine that is strictly not ok. Is there no situation where an expired seat is acceptable? What should I do with it? Aside from the cover, are any of the parts still usable?

ADS

arly1983

I have a recaro prosport that is much beloved that expires in August. I will be salvaging the cover but that will be it. :(

I will remove the straps, cut them into pieces. Then I will take a huge sharpie and write all over the seat "DO NOT USE" "UNSAFE" Then I am going to take a hammer to it while probably shedding a few tears. Then tie it up in a big trash bag and drop it off at the city landfill.

There really is no condition where an expired seat is safe to use. It might "feel" safe but it is plastic and plastic degrades over time and think of the tempratures it has been in in your car both the hot and the cold. Take a look a this video of an expired britax harness ripping out and pat your self on the back. Its time to let it go.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvCRz7BRAM0"]YouTube - Car seat expiration[/ame]

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
I just retired our expiring Husky. I have 2 kids that still fit, so sad to see it leave, but I was ready for new seats also. I sold the covers (I had 3) on here. It was such a wide and comfy seat.

Stefanie - CPStech in Iowa

TerisBoys

If it's in decent shape and you want it to "live on", you could contact your local SafeKids and see if they'd like it for a demo seat.

2wild

good idea. i'll see if i can find one locally.
barring that, anyone know roughly what a used denim RA cover goes for these days?
thank you!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC