Saw a T-shield in use today!

Momto2whosews

Senior Community Member
I parked next to a car today while picking up dd's new glasses and there was a carseat in the back seat. I saw twisted straps at first, so I looked closer (trying to be casual as I got dd out of the car) and at first glance I thought "OMG! That thing is missing the crotch strap!" But when I looked closer, I realized it was a T Shield.

According to the pcitorial, I think it was either a Graco Century 2000, or an Evenflo Champion/Scout. Sadly if it was a Graco, I think it's technically, not expired. It didn't look too badly beaten, but it's still old.

I remember my (much) younger cousin having one like that when he was a baby - but that was 1983-84!! I know there were safety issues with them, but they were all long gone (from store shelves at least) by the time I got interested in carseats. What exactly were the issues?

I had a copy of "Are you using it right" in my car, so I left it on the windshield. But it doesn't say anything about T shields. I couldn't find any note paper in my car to leave a note about 6 year expiration. Now I wish I'd just written it on the cover of the booklet, but I was so nervous about someone seeing me leave it on the car that I wasn't thinking straight. Hopefully, they will at least get a clue that somebody noticed something wrong and go get it checked out.

I really need to start keeping a full stock of pamphlets in my car for situations like these.

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Yeah, I think if it's a Century it's not quite expired. At least it's not recalled.... I think they are mostly bad for newborns..that Tshiled goes up to their chins and doesn't tighten right, IIRC.

lovinwaves

I saw one for the first time the other day in the back of a ladies car. At least it was in the middle position..

CRS

Senior Community Member
Oh man, I have seen SOOOO many T-Shield seats it's not funny! LOL I simply couldn't count them all heh. The other day I saw a Kolcraft T-Shield that HAD to be AT LEAST 20 years old! When I told them that those restraints were now obsolete and it was most certainly unsafe they asked me how were they supposed to know that? Was it on the television telling everyone? LOL

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
IMG_0737Medium.jpg

Anything like this one?

broken4u05

i didnt see a t-shield but i did see a girl in an over head shield seat not a great seat but they are sold but as i looked closer there was not harness on her arms. They were cut off or under her arms. Not doing good either way.

O and when was the last t-shield made?

CRS

Senior Community Member
i didnt see a t-shield but i did see a girl in an over head shield seat not a great seat but they are sold but as i looked closer there was not harness on her arms. They were cut off or under her arms. Not doing good either way.

O and when was the last t-shield made?

mominabigtruck

You know what I see all the time? Ohs seats with the harness cut out of the shield so its just a 3pt harness with the shield up over their head. ANd usually its tilted to the side, why I have no idea but I've never seen an ohs seat actually sitting up and down.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Yeah! I saw one with the shield cut off, just part of the stubs still sticking up. So they used it as a 3 point. FFing. They had a blanket over the stubs. That whon't help in a crash. Ouch! I should have put a flyer, but totally forgot that time. :(

Loves2sing

IMG_0737Medium.jpg

Anything like this one?

That is the EXACT car seat my Mom had in her car for my niece. This was before I had Jenna, but she is still only 7 years old, and that thing was an expired piece of crap froma garage sale.:rolleyes: When I told her
"Mom, when Ryan and I have kids, I just thought I would let you know that they will *NEVER* ride in that death trap."
Well, not long afterward, a new seat was bought!:p

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Yeah, I got that from Craigslist. It wasn't listed. I got it because I posted for car seats. Talked about expired seats, etc.

Momto2whosews

Senior Community Member
IMG_0737Medium.jpg

Anything like this one?

Hmmm, not quite like that one. It was a blue cover and I remember it had pretty deep side "wings" if you could call them that. It also had a square "hole" for the buckle instead of the rectangular "slot" cut out that a lot of them have on the pictorial. The shield itself was upside-down in the seat so the buckle was sticking up and I couldn't see a brand name. I wish I'd had a camera phone!

I think the straps were in the second-to-top slots so it couldn't have been a very big child riding in it - not that the top shoulder slots were very high anyway. And it was installed outboard in an Accord wagon with nothing else in the back seat.

The car had a vanity plate, so if I ever see it again around town, I'll remember to look in the window for that seat.

I guess I should be impressed with my area, since with all the cars that I look into, this is the first time I've seen a T shield in one of them. :shrug-shoulders: I usually see Costco products.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Sounds exactly like the one I just rescued from a yard sale an hour ago ... DOM = 1985! (The kicker: she bought it brand new in 1992 & was furious at the retailer when I explained expiration to her) :eek:

Simplysomething

I think the straps were in the second-to-top slots so it couldn't have been a very big child riding in it - not that the top shoulder slots were very high anyway.

I'm willing to bet that it was one of those seats where only the top slots were reinforced for forward facing usage, as well. :(

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
No kidding :( She relaxed when I explained how much has improved in the last 15 years & that now seats usually have the expiration dates written on them.... The retailer was Woolworths -- are they even in business anymore?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC