MyRide New buckle vs Old buckle?

HaileysMommy

I just bought a new MR and I HATE the new buckle. It is so hard to for me to undo and I can't seem to get the tongs to click in on the first try. I even bent my thumb nail back so far that it started bleeding the other day when I went to get DD out of the seat :thumbsdown: I also don't like how small it is. Someone suggested trading for an old one bc some people like the new ones but I don't have enough posts to post in that forum on here :( I may call Graco and see if I can buy one. Is it just me or is this new buckle super hard?

Pics for those who haven't seen it
222894_934118312635_38403623_42768981_2297995_n.jpg

ADS

APmama2MAK

Hm, I dont think Id like that either. I have an old style buckle on the myride I just got and its pretty much permanently stuck shut now, not sure why the previous owner didnt have issues this bad with it but it wont budge and now the harness also wont tighten even though I dont think its related.

I usually love the graco buckles like the old style, this one just hates me. I wonder if I call/email graco if they will even be able to send an old style? I sure hope so for both of us! Hope you get a resolution either way.

hrice

Hm, I dont think Id like that either. I have an old style buckle on the myride I just got and its pretty much permanently stuck shut now, not sure why the previous owner didnt have issues this bad with it but it wont budge and now the harness also wont tighten even though I dont think its related.

I usually love the graco buckles like the old style, this one just hates me. I wonder if I call/email graco if they will even be able to send an old style? I sure hope so for both of us! Hope you get a resolution either way.

If they can't send a new buckle they may replace the seat for you. I would definitely call.

jess71903

Ambassador
I would definitely try to get an old buckle. I LOVE Graco buckles. I know some hate them, but they are so easy to me.

HaileysMommy

My friends SnugRide has the old buckle and I've always loved it when I would buckle her son in..so I was surprised to get this craptastic thing :(

APmama2MAK

I have an old one and it sticks a lot.

This is SO beyond frustrating for me because I had a safeseat 1 and that buckle was the easiest, smoothest buckle in the universe! My 2 year old could push it down if needed and unbuckle himself (which may not be a good thing for the car seat escape artists but was wonderful for my fingers when I got him out).
I am so irritated that this is the same design and yet I have heard numerous complaints about it. I dont want the new buckle either. I want the old one to work properly 100% of the time, at least when it is new and/or clean, obviously user error such as a dirty/sticky/etc buckle isnt their fault.

Im not entirely sure we can do anything about it as they have now changed the buckle they use but I think they should have a better solution to those of us having problems than giving us a new design that sucks in its own ways!

Not tryin to hijack OP :)

Jessica61624

APmama2MAK said:
This is SO beyond frustrating for me because I had a safeseat 1 and that buckle was the easiest, smoothest buckle in the universe! My 2 year old could push it down if needed and unbuckle himself (which may not be a good thing for the car seat escape artists but was wonderful for my fingers when I got him out).
I am so irritated that this is the same design and yet I have heard numerous complaints about it. I dont want the new buckle either. I want the old one to work properly 100% of the time, at least when it is new and/or clean, obviously user error such as a dirty/sticky/etc buckle isnt their fault.

Im not entirely sure we can do anything about it as they have now changed the buckle they use but I think they should have a better solution to those of us having problems than giving us a new design that sucks in its own ways!

Not tryin to hijack OP :)

I know mine isn't user error. I don't allow my kids to eat or drink in the car. I really like the old design also. I wonder if they are changing the gn also?

APmama2MAK

I know mine isn't user error. I don't allow my kids to eat or drink in the car. I really like the old design also. I wonder if they are changing the gn also?

I wasnt trying to imply that :) just saying some people do complain of a buckle sticking at first, but rinsing it out fixes the issue and those cases are way different than your buckle not working correctly from the factory, that is wrong.

Someone that is already hard to convince to do things correctly sure isnt going to put as much effort into making it work correctly as I have. They probably wont put up with the issue as long as you have either, most I know would run out grab a backless booster or the cheapest seat they could find and say they "tried" to use a better seat but it was too hard or something.

NannyMom

Those that dislike the new buckle (me included), call Graco and tell them. They changed because they believe parents like this new on better.

Kat_Momof3

I don't know about the new buckle... but here's MY thing... I loved the old buckle for two reasons... 1, it was hard for kids to undo until they were taught... 2, it was easy for parents/grandparents/whoever was the caregiver to undo whether they had one hand, two hands, or no hands with a lot of strength... whether they had long nails, short nails, painted nails, whatever.

skitle1802

The buckle on my MR was sticking so that I had to undo the harness from the yoke to get my DD out. Graco said they can't send me a new or old style buckle and want me to return the seat to them for a refund. I like that the new style has a larger button but the push down style was so much easier when my thumb nails are long.

Last edited:

Jessica61624

APmama2MAK said:
I wasnt trying to imply that :) just saying some people do complain of a buckle sticking at first, but rinsing it out fixes the issue and those cases are way different than your buckle not working correctly from the factory, that is wrong.

Someone that is already hard to convince to do things correctly sure isnt going to put as much effort into making it work correctly as I have. They probably wont put up with the issue as long as you have either, most I know would run out grab a backless booster or the cheapest seat they could find and say they "tried" to use a better seat but it was too hard or something.

I know I was just sayin...

I had a safe seat and it didn't have this issue either.

Jessica61624

skitle1802 said:
The buckle on my MR was sticking so that I had to undo the harness from the yoke to get my DD out. Graco said they can't send me a new or old style buckle and want me to return the seat to them for a refund. I like that the new style has a larger button but the push down style was so much easier when my thumb nails are long. And now my Nauti is having issues and I've had it a year and a week.:thumbsdown:

So they just offered you a refund? That's odd.

skitle1802

So they just offered you a refund? That's odd.

Yep, I'm not upset about it. I have too many convertibles and could really use another HWH seat so guess who is ordering a Livia FR85 when the check comes.:love:Then I can dump the Nauti since I don't like how it fits DD2.

Jessica61624

skitle1802 said:
Yep, I'm not upset about it. I have too many convertibles and could really use another HWH seat so guess who is ordering a Livia FR85 when the check comes.:love:Then I can dump the Nauti since I don't like how it fits DD2.

I kinda secretly hope they do the same for me! I like the Myride but id be happy with a scenera until I can get a radian. I won't buy on until the SL issues are fixed.

Eta how old was your Myride? Mines coming up on a year in July. Dom is may tho. I also am going to mention the cover because it won't stay on the sides.

HaileysMommy

I'm stuck on what to do. I didn't need the MR... We have plenty if seats so I could just take it back if they won't send me a new buckle. I'm not in love with it anyway but was sorta pissed at SK and the whole SL thing bc seat belt installs in my car with the RN aren't too great. Ugh decisions.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
DO call and tell them you preferred the old buckle. If enough parents prefer the other style, they might bring it back on some seats.

M

Mrs.Lee

I guess I am the weirdo that likes the new buckle:)I had a prentis a few months back with it. My sister was having sticking issues with her mr, I purchased it from her yesterday and it was driving me nuts...called graco and they are replacing the seat for me:love:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC