Question When is a booster outgrown?

mlohry

Is it the top of the ears over the top of the headrest rule? Wondering if I can stall off buying a new booster until next year.

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
If the booster requires vehicle support, it is when the ears go over the top of available highest vehicle support, or the shoulders are over the guide at the top setting. In this case, vehicle support is often outgrown first especially in older vehicles.

If the booster does not require vehicle support, it is when the ears are over the top of the booster headrest, or the shoulders are over the guide at the top setting. In this case, it's usually outgrown by the shoulders, not the head.

In a backless booster, it is when the ears are over the top of available vehicle support. Sometimes it is also when vehicle support is still available but fit is worse with the booster than without (in vehicles with headrests that adjust very high.)

mlohry

So a GN, that doesn't need vehicle support, right? This pic is my son in the GN, the seat he would use in our classic car with an 86 Y harness. His head is obviously still in the headrest, but I am wondering how much time he would have left in it, by guess. Wondering if I can stall off buying a different HB booster for the classic car this year. The classic car is only used in the Summer.

One more question, would you personally think the GN is adequate for SIP, since this car does not have modern day safety features?

Last edited:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Is that in the highest setting? It looks like if it's not outgrown yet, it will be VERY soon. (Hard to tell with the angle.) The shoulder belt guide needs to be come from above his shoulder, and that's how he's outgrowing it.

Side impacts are the rarest of all crashes; the way that a classic car tends to be driven means that crashes tend to be less severe. I'd say anything with head support and wings that contain the head well is probably pretty safe, especially if he's in the middle (which I also can't tell.) :)

mlohry

ketchupqueen said:
Is that in the highest setting? It looks like if it's not outgrown yet, it will be VERY soon. (Hard to tell with the angle.) The shoulder belt guide needs to be come from above his shoulder, and that's how he's outgrowing it.

Side impacts are the rarest of all crashes; the way that a classic car tends to be driven means that crashes tend to be less severe. I'd say anything with head support and wings that contain the head well is probably pretty safe, especially if he's in the middle (which I also can't tell.) :)

I will try to get another shot of him today, more head on. Does it make any difference that he is not using a shoulder belt? He uses only an 86 Y harness in this car. This is not his everyday seat.

He actually will be sitting on an outside seat, because his brother is younger and fits well in the HB TB still and I feel like the GN has more head protection. So the oldest in the GN and the youngest who is ERF in a MA 70 will ride on the outside, with middle child in the middle seat. Sometimes they will ride in the front due to wind from the convertible, so I could put out oldest in the middle of the back seat then.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Oh, ok, not the only one there, gotcha.

I don't think it being an 86-Y changes the way a booster should be used. The booster will still only place the straps correctly when used as designed, you know?

mlohry

ketchupqueen said:
Oh, ok, not the only one there, gotcha.

I don't think it being an 86-Y changes the way a booster should be used. The booster will still only place the straps correctly when used as designed, you know?

I want to use the booster as directed, I just wondered that since a belt wasn't coming over his shoulder it might change how he needs to fit, but I guess the 86 Y comes over too.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
mlohry said:
I want to use the booster as directed, I just wondered that since a belt wasn't coming over his shoulder it might change how he needs to fit, but I guess the 86 Y comes over too.

When you use a 86-Y with a HBB you don't use the shoulder belt guides. I doubt that you would be able to use it with shoulders higher than the guides though, since the harness won't lay correctly with them in the way.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC