Do you allow your kids to eat in the car?

Do you allow your kids to eat in the car?

• I do

Votes: 69 81.2%
  • I don't

Votes: 16 18.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
ADS

TxMomma

I don't anymore. The new MA is too pretty and if Ashlynn saw the other two eating she would throw a fit! Besides they'll be getting their Regents soon and I want them to look nice as long as possible. Plus I'm tired of finding old food in my floor board lol.

Michi

I do, but I try to limit what they eat...nothing that drips, stains, melts (obviously I have to re-think the fruit snacks thing!), or has too many crumbs.

I let them have fries, carrot sticks, animal crackers, etc.
And they can only have non-staining drinks ( water/lemonade/etc)

mominabigtruck

Most times you can't even see my floor board its so covered in fast food wrappers. We drive alot, long distances so its just easier to feed them on the go. I take my covers off and clean them usually every other week so all my seats look brand new. I even have special bibs I keep in the glove box for when we have ice cream.:p

Laurenc0101

I do, but no major meals or anything. I usually give Brayden a cookie to keep him occupied while I buckle him in and sometimes he gets his sippy cup with milk if we have been out for awhile. Very rarely (because we rarely eat out), he will get a french fry or two.

Connor's Mom

I do, but I try to limit what they eat...nothing that drips, stains, melts (obviously I have to re-think the fruit snacks thing!), or has too many crumbs.

I let them have fries, carrot sticks, animal crackers, etc.
And they can only have non-staining drinks ( water/lemonade/etc)

Ditto. I am also pretty good as keeping my covers clean. So far we have had no major accidents (knocking on wood).

Loves2sing

The only time Jenna gets anything to eat in our car is when we do our monthly 6 hour drive each way. Then she gets a huge bib, like this:
http://www.thanksmama.com/PhotoGallery.asp?ProductCode=ksh-015
(I put it on over the car seat straps) And it is only stuff that will make a minimal amount of mess. Dh and I are very picky about our cars. She gets Chicken Nuggets, and Aeroroot Cookies, and sometimes a pkg of fruit snacks. Then water or milk in a Sippy Cup. The nalgene sippy cups are AWESOME!!!!:love:
http://www.nalgene-outdoor.com/store/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=40

I would recommend them to everyone!

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
We let DD1 eat & drink in the car. Usually it's just snacks though, no meals, so just crackers or a banana. The other day DH gave her a full bag of Pirate's Booty--just opened the bag and handed it to her. Of course, after about a handful she just upended the bag into her lap. I was pulling popcorn out of my car for days afterwards.

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
I always said I wouldn't, but now there's really no way to go anywhere more than 30 minutes away without it. She can have Cheerios, or pretzel sticks (they're bigger around than standard ones, I think they're oat bran pretzels). That's about it. She only drinks water, so that's what she gets, but I try to monitor her water usage because she's taken to dumping it on herself (I use the Nuby straw cups, and she's figured out if she squeezes the straw the right way it'll drip out...)

southpawboston

yep, we allow it. we can't be hypocrites, since we (me and DW) eat occassionaly in the car. so if we're going to, we have to let DDs as well. but we are very strategic in what we pack when we're in the car. ;) only water and non-sticky snacks like cheerios, crackers or cheese cubes.

broken4u05

yeah it might change some when i have my own but right now i do not have kids in the car all the time. I eat in the car to work because i do not have time before leaving, and i eat dinner in my car before class because i do not want to eat after class at 9pm or later. So with kids in my car i maybe only have a drink and so they can have their cups with water as well

NanceXToo

I do, but not with things that will make too much of a mess, and not all the time, either.

If we were on a longer ride I let them because it's not fair to make them wait too long to eat, know what I mean? But if we were at the McD's drive through six minutes from home and they were clamoring for their food, I'd tell them they could wait til we got home.

If it was something like an ice cream cone, there's no way they'd be allowed to eat that in the car, they'd have to eat it outside of the car and then get back in.

But I'd hand them a chicken nugget or some raisins or some pretzels or whatever, something that wouldn't be likely to stain and/or make a huge mess.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Eating can be a huge distraction for the driver, so I try to plan ahead as much as possible so that at most all I'll need is bottled water in the car -- but, I let Leila eat in the car often.... It cuts down the distraction to me (except when she hadn't yet quite learned why not to throw food into the front seats *UGH* or of course when she was too little to safely chew + swallow through bumps & turns) The type of foods are usually limited to those which are flakey for vaccuuming, not sticky/gooey. I've had a thread worn sheet on the vehicle seat cushion to catch crumbs & had just taken it off before our road trip when I uninstalled the Husky to exchange covers & put the Apex in its place -- shook the sheet out & forgot to put it back on ... then we got an ice cream of all things & Leila makes her 1st spill in over a year: of course it would have to be something sticky/gooey + without the sheet :rolleyes:

Starlight

Senior Community Member
Yup!

Like SPB, I can't be a hypocrite.

We regularly give the kiddos snacks and such, but I try to limit the milk/dairy... I don't want to forget about the cup of milk upended on the floor in the 3rd row and have nasty milk smell forever.

Plus, my dh cleans my car... so it really has no effect one me. :)

easterbun

Yes, but only "dry" foods - stuff that can be easily vacuumed up.

Only water is allowed in my car though.. no milk/juice/soda/etc

trailrunnermom

Yes -- I try to limit it -- but it's unbelievable how many crumbs my 3-yo can make with a bagel! Last week we bought him a smoothie but it didn't have a tight-fitting top (I don't know what I was thinking...). End result: I got to wash our Radian cover for the first time. :)

hsjwmom

I really wish I didn't, even had that as a rule when we bought our new van in Aug... That (of course!) went out the window when we drove 9 hrs to Florida in Sept! :rolleyes: I try not to let them have messy stuff. (Note I said TRY) I AM very picky about drinks, though. If they bring a drink home from a restaurant, they have to stick them in a cupholder and not even TOUCH them until we get home. Except for water, of course!

Confession. I spilled more coffee in my old van than all the drink spills from the girls put together. I'm a lot more careful now. :eek:

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC