Radian Safe Stop

NannyMom

I bought a RadianXT from a trusted member here. I didn't get the manual, and can't seem to find it on SKJP's website. Is Safe Stop required for a FF tethered seat and kids under 40 pounds, or just suggested? If it is just suggested, would you use it for you child w/o Safe Stop?

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I'd top tether for an FF child even if I didn't have the safestop. It was added on after the seat had already been released and passed all testing FF with even the very small dummies, and there's never been a recall mandating it's use for older seats (not that SK ever does have recalls, so that's not saying much, I guess), but I'd always top tether, safestop or not.

NannyMom

I have the Safe Stop, that's not the issue. I think the SS is making it harder to tighten the seat. I would prefer to use it with SS, but if I feel I can't tighten properly.....

ctbcleveland

Ok - now I am confused. :eek: I thought the use of the safestop was based on use of lower anchors versus seatbelt. Not the top tether? I thought ketchupqueen explained it that way.

Mama Jo

Ok - now I am confused. :eek: I thought the use of the safestop was based on use of lower anchors versus seatbelt. Not the top tether? I thought ketchupqueen explained it that way.

The SS has instructions right on it to be used with the lower anchors or the top tether. What I've always understood that to mean is that the only time you shouldn't use it is if it's installed with just the seatbelt and no top tether because the seatbelt only install will allow it to move more in a collision than it would with the added top tether or with the lower anchors.

ctbcleveland

The SS has instructions right on it to be used with the lower anchors or the top tether. What I've always understood that to mean is that the only time you shouldn't use it is if it's installed with just the seatbelt and no top tether because the seatbelt only install will allow it to move more in a collision than it would with the added top tether or with the lower anchors.

Okay - so a seatbelt + top tether + child < 40 lbs = safe stop

...and

Lower anchors + top tether + child < 40 lbs = safe stop

Mama Jo

Okay - so a seatbelt + top tether + child < 40 lbs = safe stop

...and

Lower anchors + top tether + child < 40 lbs = safe stop

Yes, from what I understand, that's correct.

It's been awhile since I've looked at the manual specifically regarding this issue though since mine is still rf and it's not really something I deal with yet, so someone else may want to confirm that. ;)

mamakc

Three cheers for Sunshine Kids for making a seat that confuses even the most educated and experienced Techs! :rolleyes:

But yeah... safe stop is only used if the child is FF AND under 40lbs AND using the top tether.

Sunshy9

Ok so what would you do if you had a 6 year old(N) and 3.75 year old(I) sharing the same Radian during the week?

N is 44 lbs, 46 in tall
I is 33 lbs, and 39.25 in tall
They are at the same harness level height

So do I have to unistall the Radian every day to change the safe stop back and forth for when each girl sits in the seat?
When they are both in the seat it wont tighten all the way to where it should be for safety, with the safe stop on.

The seat is installed FF in the middle seat of the 2nd row in a GMC Acadia, with a seat belt and top tether, rock solid.

HELP?!?!?!

christineka

Ok so what would you do if you had a 6 year old(N) and 3.75 year old(I) sharing the same Radian during the week?

N is 44 lbs, 46 in tall
I is 33 lbs, and 39.25 in tall
They are at the same harness level height

So do I have to unistall the Radian every day to change the safe stop back and forth for when each girl sits in the seat?
When they are both in the seat it wont tighten all the way to where it should be for safety, with the safe stop on.

The seat is installed FF in the middle seat of the 2nd row in a GMC Acadia, with a seat belt and top tether, rock solid.

HELP?!?!?!

What I was advised of doing when I asked a similar seat sharing question was: no safe stop, top tether for over 40 pound kid, and no top tether for under 40 pound kid.

Sunshy9

What I was advised of doing when I asked a similar seat sharing question was: no safe stop, top tether for over 40 pound kid, and no top tether for under 40 pound kid.

I guess i just don't understand why you wouldn't top tether a ff child thats under 40 lbs?

Pixels

Because the SafeStop does a lot of the same thing that not tethering does: it reduces head injury and chest forces.

NannyMom

I guess i just don't understand why you wouldn't top tether a ff child thats under 40 lbs?

I don't get the no tt either :confused:

If I was using it for multiple children of different weights, I'd just not use the safe stop.

NannyMom

Most Radians are always a pain to tighten, SS or not :p

I was thinking.... you know how sometimes the spiller plate (on various seats) can be at just the wrong angle.... I was thinking since there are 2 splitter plates and a safe stop, maybe that's what's going on. But, we'll see. I haven't tried it would the SS yet. And I don't usually tighten/loosen every time.

canadiangie

Oy.

I find my Radians a total beast to tighten too. Solution is to buckle the chest clip only, then tighten (tug tug tug), and then insert the buckle tongues into crotch strap. It's like butter. :)

I do this with my BV, FNXT/85, MR65, RN's... It works so good.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC