Mum wants baby turned, 6 months old today!

Joddle

I'm in Australia, so 6 months is the legal minimum. However the reccommendation is 12mths/12kgs. I told her the risks, RF benefit, EVERYTHING. She used the 'legs too long' reason, I rebutted that. She still wants her turned :mad: She's arriving here in 20 minutes. I don't know what to do! I mean legally I can do it, and should do it, and it'll be in properly FF if I do it. But I really don't want to, and I told her that. Any quick one page brochures you can link me to that I can show her when she gets here to try to convince her?! TIA!!!

ADS

Evolily

can you show her this video?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sssIsceKd6U"]YouTube - Rear facing vs forward facing position in the car[/ame]

Joddle

I love that video, thanks for posting, I could never find it! She's been and gone. I showed her a few brochures, some photos, and graphs. Explained as much as I could. But sometimes people who DO know better still WON'T do better. Ironically, I found out she's an emergency department nurse. You would think someone in that job would want their kids as safe as possible in the car after what they'd see. Oh well, she now has a poor 6 month old in a properly installed FF car seat :(

CommMom

Senior Community Member
Too bad you couldn't convince her to ERF. But you did your best and you put the information out there. Perhaps someday she'll change her mind. At the end of the day, at least you made sure she could properly use the seat FF.

ctbcleveland

I am sorry about your luck, but am cracking up about a 6 mos old's legs being too long. My 3.5 year old was fine and many other people keep their kids RF well beyond that age!

ProudMommysince09

Wow, she's a nut, especially given the fact that she's an ER nurse. Sorry, I'm all about parents making the choices for their kids but she is just too young.
Anyway, don't beat yourself up! You did what you could and she probably would have never changed her mind, no matter how much info you'd showed her. At least its installed correctly..

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
Sorry. :( that is scary and sad. I would have a hard time helping her too.

Stefanie - CPStech in Iowa

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Here's what *I* do in that case. First, I tell the parent that, just like the bones in the skull, the cervical bones have gaps to allow the spinal cord to get bigger around. Since those gaps don't even start to close up until 1 year old, infants have a tendency to get spinal cord injuries in forward facing crashes. Then I say I can I show the parent/have parent practice a ffing install so they can do it properly, but from a liability standpoint I can't be a party to helping a child leave a car seat check ffing if they are under 1 year, so I'll have to show them rfing too and put it on my form that baby left rfing.

I usually get a call back around 1yr of age because they never got around to taking out the seat and turning it around after they left me, and know they're not sure they remember how to do it properly.

Joddle

Thanks safeinthecar, that's a really good idea!
It is scary, but what annoys me is that 50% of kids don't hit 12kgs until 2yo. Therefore, even using an Aussie seat, half of kids can make it to 2yo RFing! There is just no knowledge here about it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC