Sell me on your favorite bucket!!

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
I don't know that DD2 will be done using the KF30 we gave her for her dd, born 4/4. DD1 is expecting a baby 12/10/11 and I need to figure out what seat to get for her. I love the KF, but I already had that seat, so I didn't have to go out and buy it. Having to go buy an infant seat that costs that much, well....I'm entertaining other options.

SO, sell me on your favorite infant seat besides the KF30 since I already know how awesome it is (pics would be great!). The infant seat will be going in the front seat of a Ford Ranger xcab pick up. There is no passenger side airbag and the back seat has side facing seats. So no option but the front seat.

Oh, and I expect this baby to be a fairly little one. So seats that fit littles (5ish lbs and up) would be great.

ADS

Evolily

Safety 1st Onboard will be the most affordable seat that goes to 35 lbs and has a tall shell. The cheaper version should fit the average 5 lber. The cheaper version has a base that can be quirky, from what I understand. You can find it for under $100.

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
My favorite is the safety1st onboard or onboard air. It is the longest lasting infant seat. Fits small babies well. She could possible use it through the 2nd winter if the baby is small at birth. Most kids seem to make it close to a year in it. Our neighbor has the brown/green one from target. Its easy to install and easy to adjust.

Stefanie - CPStech in Iowa

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
I found a KF30 for $149. I also have a spare cover. And maybe a spare base if I get one back from DD2 as I got her a 2nd....the Safety 1st Onboard Air is still $140. The 'plain' vs is $110. For $40 more, I think the KF is a better option considering I already have an extra cover and possibly the extra base...if not right away, certainly a few months down the road.

Or, I found a SR35 for $140. I think I'd rather get a SR35 over a Safety 1st...I just have issues with Dorel products. Sigh.

wvmommy007

I love my Combi Shuttle 33. It's way tall and looks like it would fit littles well. I have never had a noob in it though. I have pictures of it in this album if you want to see it with my petite 11 month old model. She's 16 months now and still fits with growing room on the current setting and one more click on the headrest. It feels very comfy, and the fabric is nice. The sun canopy is nice. The seat is pretty light. The base is nice and has storage for the LATCH strap and an extra storage compartment.

The things I don't love include the puzzle buckle and the fact that the handle can't be down once the headrest is adjusted up.

I probably forgot some points. If you have any questions, I can try to answer them. :)

ETA: There is a baby due in my family shortly, if you'd want to see noob pictures in the seat. I'll see if the mom would allow me to share them. I can at least report back on fit.

ctbcleveland

I love the Graco SS/SR32/S35 line-up. I've played with the Chicco seat and also like it very much, but would have a hard time paying more for it when it won't last as long because of less shell height. (I know it isn't going to be more in your situation, but generally it is more expensive).

I find their lock-offs to be perfect, which is great for center seat seatbelt installs.

Graco isn't perfect for the itty bitty's, but my term babies who where between 7-8 pounds at birth fit fine.

AnnieW625

I had great luck using a Graco Safe Seat with DD2 who was a little more than 6lbs when she was born. I haven't used a current Snugride 35 but I really do like the Laguna Bay pattern (BRUS exclusive I think) and had a friend not given me the Safe Seat I most likely would've bought that seat. My DD2 is 12 months old and still has oodles of head space left in the Safe Seat. I am soo glad I went that rate vs. buying a Key Fit, although the Key Fit's fabrics are pretty nice!

cpsaddict

I adore my SS/SR35/SR32. The install is a breeze and it fit my 6lb 14oz baby very well, although she was a bit long torsoed. The Snugride 30 might be a option, too for a little one. I know someone with preemie twins in them and they fit perfectly.

EmmaGrace'sMom

I would pass the KF down...Phia will be too big to carry in the KF anyway. I stopped using it at 6 months, there was no carrying that thing after that! If you get close and Jo is still carrying it a lot buy something, but I'd wait.

jess71903

Ambassador
I LOVED my SS1. Nothing beats that lock-off on the base.

I also played with an OB35 that I was really surprised by. The lowest slots are SO low and the base wasn't tippy like the SR22 bases are.

MaggieQ

Senior Community Member
I just put a 3 year old 34 lb kid in an onboard 35 and he still fit. I was amazed because this same kid outgrew his sr22 at 8 months.
And its LIGHT! SO light.

Sent from my PC36100 using Car-Seat.Org

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I LOVE my First Years Via. It is my favorite infant seat I have ever owned (closely followed by the Chicco KeyFit). :love:

It is easy to use, fits teeny-tiny noobs well, has a lovely canopy, is light-weight, has a comfy handle, has a good base, and has a handle that can be used as an anti-rebound bar.

lovemybabybug

My DD is on the smallish side, stats in my siggy.
We had the SR 32 with her and LOVED IT! She still fits in it, at least 3 inches from the top shell. She also still fits in a Maxi Cosi, although I have never really used that seat, she only sat in it at my friends house. In the past 3 months she has tried a KF and a Baby Trend. She is just a smidge to tall for both. The SR 32 remains my favorite bucket. Ours didn't have the infant insert, she was 7 lbs 10 oz and fit in it just fine. I don't know how the shell on the SR 35 compares to the 32, but the 35 has a nice infant insert. If I have another baby, that's what I would get. If my daughter keeps up with the same growth pattern, she would probably fit in our SR 32 when she is 2! It retails for $149 though.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
I would pass the KF down...Phia will be too big to carry in the KF anyway. I stopped using it at 6 months, there was no carrying that thing after that! If you get close and Jo is still carrying it a lot buy something, but I'd wait.

If it weren't in the middle of winter, I'd agree she probably wouldn't be using it as a 'carrier' anymore. She already has a BV70 waiting for her, but we are going to have some car seat juggling going on between 3 cars depending on who has to pick Phia up. So, keeping her in the KF to the max, would be convenient.

I may just pick up another KF, sell the new cover to help fund it...and put my spare cover on it which is in perfect condition. Then we would have 2 seats, 3 bases between 2 babies....I would get one of the 2nd bases and each mom would have one.

I just have to shut up the itch to buy something for my new grandbaby for a while longer and see what Jo ends up doing with Phia in terms of using the KF. Phia will be 8mo when the new baby comes.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC