Talk me into or out of the Scenera 40RF

likes2shopalot

CPS Technician
Just wondering why you personally would or would not choose to use a Cosco Scenera 40RF. The good the bad and the ugly.

I am always swapping car seats around here, always trying something new. Right now we are using two Coccoros, a Roundabout50, a RadianXT, 2 Nautilus, ProBooster and I think thats it. :p Well low and behold today at Target this cute pink floral seat cover caught my eye. Its the Scenera 40RF and it was $35 :eek: So ya gotta love the price, right? I am traveling in June with one of the girls and had considered getting a Scenera for travel so it was good timing. But my DD, who will be 4 in July, constantly goes back and fourth between FF and RF whenever I have to move or swap out seats. She saw the Scenera and loved it and knows mommy is a sucker for buying a new seat. I told her sorry sweetie, that one can only face backwards. ;) She said thats ok, she will cross her legs and sit backwards all the time if she can have that seat. :rolleyes:

Beyond that I am just wondering on a more personal/user level why you would or would not choose the seat compared to others out there.

ADS

Jocey'sMommy

I have had 2, my newest one is the 40lbs RFing one, the only real problem I have with it is that sometimes it is hard to install on my leather seats, it slides and that cutout at the bottom makes it hard to get a good angle in some cars ( by that I mean it was almost straight up and down in one of my friend's cars with me using every ounce of weight pushing in at the butt part of the seat to make it recline more) other than that its a nice basic seat in my opinion, I have never used it as a primary seat but its soooo lightweight and perfect as a spare/travel seat!!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Does she have any room to grow in it RF? It's not nearly as tall as the Radian you're used to, though I think a tad taller than the Coccoro, if you want to get a rough idea.

StPaulMom

We have one for travel and I love it. And it's great to have an extra seat, right!? For $35, I'm tempted to get another one and I dont even need it :whistling:

likes2shopalot

CPS Technician
She does have room to grow. I will take some pictures in a bit. Its really meant as an extra seat but I guess I am wondering as a tech or car seat junkie, you wouldn't choose it as a primary.

ginny4

not exactly a tall seat for really ERFing. i didn't mind it as a spare but it irritated me sometimes. it wasn't that easy to install- needed pool noodles. & i'm not a fan of continuous harnesses. i was glad it wasn't our primary seat

ETA: that the price is SWEET. in all likelyhood if i had a kid that could use it as an extra i'd probably buy it.

likes2shopalot

CPS Technician
Does she have any room to grow in it RF? It's not nearly as tall as the Radian you're used to, though I think a tad taller than the Coccoro, if you want to get a rough idea.

Its definitely taller than the Coccoro, but not as tall as the Radian. I have all three, we can line them up and take mug shots. :p

And to - Jocey'sMommy - good point, we do have leather, we haven't installed it yet, I am just in thinking mode but am sure we will keep it as a spare if nothing else.

likes2shopalot

CPS Technician
not exactly a tall seat for really ERFing. i didn't mind it as a spare but it irritated me sometimes. it wasn't that easy to install- needed pool noodles. & i'm not a fan of continuous harnesses. i was glad it wasn't our primary seat

ETA: that the price is SWEET. in all likelyhood if i had a kid that could use it as an extra i'd probably buy it.

Its not tall but I have short kiddos :rolleyes:. I figure I may not need noodles since the girls are older, but of course I will have to see how upright it really is.

I didn't think it had a continuous harness, I am trying to get some stuff picked up before i go play seats but its really hard! :p

likes2shopalot

CPS Technician
:thumbsup: It has a regular two strap front adjust harness.
:thumbsup: No noodles for install. Its pretty upright but not far off from the "this line level"

DD is 36" tall and is on the 2nd to top slot for RF and it is right at her shoulders and has plenty of shell above her head.
DSC_0460.JPG

DSC_0463.JPG

DSC_0464.JPG

DSC_0466.JPG

DSC_0469.JPG

mlohry

Due to issues with a Britax seat we have been using our Scenera more often and I have to say I have gotten quite use to it and installing it. After I learned the trick to pull the latch strap back thru the seat, it made it so much easier. I always use a noodle to install. I have only installed it RF, but in 4 totally different vehicles. I don't think my DD likes it as much, but it's fine. I however never adjust the harness, I just leave it, where most seats I adjust it, the Scenera is hard to adjust. It's a great, light seat. My DD is little, but I am sure she will last until at least 4 RF.

ginny4

pretty girl in a pretty seat! fits her well!

really, not a continuous harness?? they changed that? the lap portion doesn't run underneath?

likes2shopalot

CPS Technician
pretty girl in a pretty seat! fits her well!

really, not a continuous harness?? they changed that? the lap portion doesn't run underneath?

Its the same as all of my other seats. It goes under the bottom but each side feeds into the slots separate and there is the harness splitter thing in the back. Then it has the regular button and tail thing to adjust the front like a Coccoro or whatnot would. When I think of one continues harness I think of the other Evenflo harness/booster that has the TA type adjuster on the actual harness part by the kiddo.

lovemybabies924

I got one yesterday, it was gonna be a primary seat but I got things worked out and now it's a spare :) I used a scenera as a primary for my other two kids from 9m-3 & 4 years no problems I still would if needed, I was told the original says NO noodles can we with the 40rf??????

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

KaiLing

Its definitely taller than the Coccoro, but not as tall as the Radian. I have all three, we can line them up and take mug shots. :p

Can anyone here compare the Scenera 40rf to the MyRide in terms of height? I might buy one for a trip to avoid carrying the Radian, but if it's significantly shorter than the MyRide (which my kid is right at the 1" mark on) I won't even bother trying. But lemme tell ya, $40 to not carry the 30 lbs Radian in the airport is sounding pretty good.

likes2shopalot

CPS Technician
Can anyone here compare the Scenera 40rf to the MyRide in terms of height? I might buy one for a trip to avoid carrying the Radian, but if it's significantly shorter than the MyRide (which my kid is right at the 1" mark on) I won't even bother trying. But lemme tell ya, $40 to not carry the 30 lbs Radian in the airport is sounding pretty good.

Boy they were sitting side by side at Target today and I honestly am not sure if there would be much difference. The MR sits so tall but the actual inside shell has to be pretty close.

ElfJewel

Ian (3 yrs 4 mos, 37 ins, 30 lbs) in the My Ride
imr5-5-11.jpg
imrhead5-5-11.jpg

Ian in the Scenera
iscenera5-5-11.jpg
iscenerahead5-5-11.jpg

He looks like he has a little more room in the My Ride.

We got the 40RF Scenera last time it was on sale. It is Emi's spare (18 mos). It's pretty easy to install and Ian fits in it better than in the old Sceneras.

KaiLing

Thanks so much! We've still got a month and a half before we travel, so maybe I'll wait and measure him later. Or maybe, if I do find it for the $35 price at my Target (plus 5% off from the red card!) I'll just buy it, hope it works, and foist it upon someone who wouldn't RF otherwise if it doesn't fit. The internet says my Target has it, and frankly, for $35 if I can convince someone to use it it'd be worth not taking the family to a restaurant the next time we're lazy...

ginny4

Its the same as all of my other seats. It goes under the bottom but each side feeds into the slots separate and there is the harness splitter thing in the back. Then it has the regular button and tail thing to adjust the front like a Coccoro or whatnot would. When I think of one continues harness I think of the other Evenflo harness/booster that has the TA type adjuster on the actual harness part by the kiddo.

i think we view continuous harnesses differently.....cause the older version of scenera it had a one tail adjustment in front, it had a splitter plate BUT the hip/lap ran across the bottom of seat. it made it so if you pulled on the hip strap on one side it would make that side longer & the other side shorter. it just always made the harness uneven for me so i had to spend more time adjusting

if you don't mind could you take a pic of the bottom of the seat? that would make it easier.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
i think we view continuous harnesses differently.....cause the older version of scenera it had a one tail adjustment in front, it had a splitter plate BUT the hip/lap ran across the bottom of seat. it made it so if you pulled on the hip strap on one side it would make that side longer & the other side shorter. it just always made the harness uneven for me so i had to spend more time adjusting

if you don't mind could you take a pic of the bottom of the seat? that would make it easier.

:yeahthat:

KaiLing

I went ahead and bought one (black, though the pink was attractive). Two points: first, the sticker on the side says you can RF until AT the shell, not 1", so it's taller than it might look (my kiddo fits today, might not in a month). Second, it doesn't come in a box! I asked the shipping people at the Target and it comes off the truck in a bag. So, I think all Sceneras could be considered crashed, right off the shelf, for people who apply the "never check a car seat" rule! Totally flummoxed at that, will ask elsewhere.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC