Best seat for frequent traveling?

U

Unregistered

Hi!

I have a 13 month old who is 31 inches tall and weighs 21 pounds. He has outgrown his Chicco Key key fit 30 seat, which I love. We are in the process of moving overseas and cicumstances have caused a big delay in the move. However, our belongings have already shipped overseas months ago and those include the new seat we bought for future use (which we now need). The seat that is now overseas and waiting for us is the Britax Boulevard 70. When we arrive to our future destination it will still take at least a month for us to receive the car seat, due to red tape.

Since we won't be moving for another 6 weeks, I feel that I can't make my son wait any longer for a new seat. The Chicco is getting a little snug on his shoulders and to take it with us would be a waste. I need a new convertible seat that will travel well. We will not only be taking multiple flights when we move, but once we are in the new country, there will be more traveling.

I love the idea of the Boulevard for safety, comfort, and ease of use. However, I believe it could be cumbersome to tote around for travels, especially for flying.We may also have a few different vehicles that we have to ride in before ours arrives in country.
I also have read about the Radians, but am concerned about the possibility of having trouble installing them with ease and the weight of it.

I keep reading reviews but can't seem to find one that meets all of the criteria. I feel like ease of use, safety, and portability are important for us. I feel that we could just use one for travels and the Boulevard for in the car.

Questions:
1. Any recommendations?
2. Is the Boulevard too complicated to tote around? What about if you're in a foreign country with tons of stuff?
3. Can the Radian be used with the Traveling Toddler strap to put on the rolling luggage?

Finally, thank you for any specifics that you can give us.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
All seats pass the same safety tests. So provided you use it properly, any seat is safe.

I'd look at the Cosco Scenera and Combi Coccoro. Both are lightweight, narrow, easy and fast to install, work well in most cars. The Combi may work better with its lockoffs if you're going to be traveling internationally since a lot of overseas cars don't have locking seatbelts.

Wendy

U

Unregistered

Thank you, Wendy!

I have been reading on both of those seats and it seems that the Combi has some installation issues. That was a concern for me. Could it be that people just don't know how to install them or is it really a hassle?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Probably people don't know how. There are three different installation ways, and three ways to lock the belt, so it should work anywhere. I've not had a problem.

Wendy

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
If you're not concerned about its longevity, then I think the Coccoro would be my #1 choice. Just be sure to read the manual carefully and practice several different methods of installation before you travel. :)

U

Unregistered

Hi again,

So, I purchased the Combi and have really had trouble installing it tightly into the car. I have tried it myself and also had my father to try it. We used the lock off, but it was unable to keep it tight enough. I tried the seatbelt technique with the shoulder strap as well as the lock offs and each time, it left the seat loose. Is there anything else that you can recommend trying before I return it to the store?

I think I will go to Babies R US and try to look at all of the various seats and see which one would work best.

I will also consider the Cosco Scerena. I just didn't want something with sparse padding.

Thank you so much for any help you can provide.

U

Unregistered

My hand was at the top of the car seat and it moved a lot from side to side. It did appear to move a bit less, if my hand was towards the bottom of the seat. I currently have the Chicco and it fits in so tightly with very little movement, so that is what I am used to and like.

I used the lock off, but because the part where the seat belt latches into is long, it gives too much slack.

I am so tempted to just purchase a second BLVD, but am worried about the bulkiness and weight as well as if it will fit on a variety of plane seats. He is still rear facing.

U

Unregistered

I went to Wal-mart to look at the selection that they have. I was wondering about the Graco Comfort Sport. It looked about the same size as the Scenera, but with EPS foam. It was only a bit heavier. What are your thoughts about that instead of getting the Scenera or the Combi.

Also, I believe you guys already mentioned elsewhere, but I want to confirm: are all of the Britaxes the same size and weight, but with different features? I wasn't sure if perhaps the Roundabout would be smaller than the others and therefore easier for travel...

vonfirmath

I went to Wal-mart to look at the selection that they have. I was wondering about the Graco Comfort Sport. It looked about the same size as the Scenera, but with EPS foam. It was only a bit heavier. What are your thoughts about that instead of getting the Scenera or the Combi.

Also, I believe you guys already mentioned elsewhere, but I want to confirm: are all of the Britaxes the same size and weight, but with different features? I wasn't sure if perhaps the Roundabout would be smaller than the others and therefore easier for travel...

I have travelled with the Britax Roundabout50 and the marathon -- it worked fine.

The Britax Roundabout is a much smaller seat that will be outgrown sooner, but is lighter, yes.

Jan06twinmom

The Graco Comfort Sport is an awful seat that should be taken off the market. It has low harness straps and it is outgrown earlier than most other seats on the market. The Scenera lasts longer rear-facing and forward-facing for less money.

The Scenera and Combi are much better seats for travel.

Melanie

U

Unregistered

Okay, so fortunately the fire department was having a car seat safety check today. How convenient is that? I took the combi, which I had installed this morning (and it actually worked, but I am not sure why it was different than the first few times). The fire department installed it using the LATCH in the middle seat and it is VERY tight!!! I am so amazed! I don't know what problems I was having initially, but now I feel confident that I can get it secure enough to feel comfortable keeping the seat.

I will remove it soon in order to practice installing for the plane and for other cars. I hope I will be able to do it myself!!!

Thank you so much for all of your help! One of the tips the fire dept gave me was to pull straight up on the strap attached to the LATCH system, instead of towards my body. I don't know if that will help anyone else or not...

Again, thank you all for your time and answers!!

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Hi there, ideally the car seat technician who helped you out at the seat check would have taught you to do the installation and had you be the last person to have touched and installed the carseat. Good idea to practice doing the install in your car yourself and to prepare for travel. :) What is your car's manufacturer, model year and model name? A dedicated center set of LATCH is more rare than not in vehicles. Combi allows using the innermost lower LATCH anchor from each outboard (side) seating position in vehicles lacking a dedicated center set of lower LATCH anchors to do a center LATCH installation, called "borrowing" in carseat jargon, if the vehicle manufacturer also allows borrowing. Some car manufacturers do allow borrowing, but there are many who don't allow it. We just need you to post back with your vehicle's details to double check on whether your car allows a center lower LATCH anchor installation to be sure you have a proper install in your car.

U

Unregistered

Hi again,

Thanks for your concern! I really appreciate it. The car is a 2004 Toyota Land Cruiser. It has the LATCH in the center as well as the seat behind the driver.

I was frustrated that they did not show me how to install the seat. However, I figure I will practice (probably tonight and a few other nights) and I can go to the fire department to have it re-installed if I have trouble. I still have the old seat that I will re-install if for some reason I can't get the Combi to work and have to go on an outing.

I can't say thanks enough for your concern. That really means a lot! Just let me know what you think. Also, if I can do the borrowing thing, but I don't think I need to do that.

Sincerely,

Leslee

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Ah, cool, thanks for posting back about your vehicle. Your Land Cruiser is one of those more rare than not vehicles with a dedicated center set of LATCH in its second row (it's one of two Toyota models with dedicated center LATCH, and Toyotas without dedicated center LATCH don't allow borrowing outboard lower LATCH anchors to install in the center). It's all good for a LATCH install in that center seating position for the Coccoro in your Land Cruiser, or any other carseat model, provided that you can achieve a proper install with less than 1" of movement at the carseat's belt path, whew. :)

U

Unregistered

Yea! I am so happy about it all working out!

I really appreciate your help and concern!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC