I feel sad... what do you say to people with infant seats?

KaiLing

At the vet's office there was a kid in an infant seat approaching the height limit. I'd guess 10 months? I said "oh, he's almost out of that seat," and we had a brief discussion about total height limits vs torso length and protecting their heads, where I think I made that clear. Then she said she'd already bought the new seat after reading Consumer Reports and "all the reviews online." I told her not to do that, only to look here because people don't know how to install their seats. She said that made sense. Then, my dog distracted me as I asked "what seat did you buy?" and she said a Graco Nautilus. I had a vague flash of oh no! but she was leaving and my dog was sniffing.

I feel bad. I didn't actually know that the Nautilus was forward facing (I've never shopped for those, so I don't know them), I'm not a tech so I don't like to misrepresent myself, but I could have said *something* about rear facing. Boo. Do people here have standard lines that they say so they don't miss opportunities like this? I'm sad.

ADS

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
It's VERY common here to go from a bucket to a FF only seat, even when under 12mo. Parents don't know/care to buy a convertible and rf them. They just want to save $$...and since the seat starts at 20lbs....in their mind, it's the appropriate next seat...and the last one they'll need to buy.

jeminijad

My SIL did this with both kids. Maxed out their buckets, then into Nautiluses they went. Actually, one has a FFing EFTA that could easily RF, but that was a gift! Its amazing how people just skip past the huge convertible section of the car seat aisle...

If Graco would just change the limits on the Nautilus to 2 and 30! They have 2 other products that can bridge a kid between 6 months when the bucket gets heavy to haul and age 2, when its a minimum OK to FF...

I really feel that the low Nautilus limit kind of snares parents that do give some thought to the seat they buy- enough to look online, and are willing to spend more than the super basic Dorel seats- but don't quite catch onto the safety aspect of it.

As for your question, it hasn't happened to me often. Just with my in laws.

mommyfrog

I had to (or got too!!) tell someone in Target the other day that the Nautilus doesn't rf. They thought since it said 3 in 1 and was sitting by another 3 in 1 it would work to rf their 9mo. I talked them into buying a My Ride. Well, grandma anyway since she was paying. The mom was hemhawing around thinking the dad wouldn't like it. I told her to tell him a CPST recommended it and to keep the baby rf as long as possible!!

Emi's Mommy

It don't think it helps that smaller kids fit so well into the Nautilus.

While antagonizing over a seat for my mom's car, I put my almost 8 month old(who still fits in bucket) in it just to see the fit, and she fit it like a glove.

I like how the Frontier has the 2 year age minimum and I agree with the PP who wished that that Graco would follow suit.

Does anyone know if the Argos(I think that's the correct name for the new seat) will have the same limits as the Nauti?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC