Tire tread

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
My tires were OK this winter, not ideal, but acceptable & they were Legal for our roadtrip last week, too, but they do not look safe to me anymore.... NY state law requires tread deep enough to the equivalent of reaching the top of Lincoln's head when a penny is inserted upside down :rolleyes: (They do have a specified measurement, but I forget it exactly & this silly method stands out more in my memory). Sooooo, since we all know legal doesn't necessarily mean safe for carseats I'm guessing it stands to reason that legal doesn't necessarily = safe for tire tread :eek: What should my tire tread ideally look like :confused: (other than brand new -- I need to know if I should borrow a vehicle until I can get new tires or if I can safely keep driving Leila to school until I have the $$$)

ADS

southpawboston

legal limit is usually 1/16" inch or more (and yeah, the penny trick is pretty common). but legal doesn't necessarily mean safe, and i would never drive around with 1/16" of tread depth. first of all, the ability of a tire to disperse water is inversely proportional to tread depth (as a tire rolls over wet ground, the water has to be displaced, right? where can it go? it has to be directed out through the channels and canals in the tire tread... if those channels are too shallow (worn tread) the water can't get displaced fast enough = hydroplaning!!!). a tire doesn't go from being good to bad overnight... it's gradual, and a tire with half it's tread left has only half the hydroplaning resistance of a new tire, but its dry traction is usually maintained until it gets much closer to bald. but i guess it would be unreasonable to require people to get rid of half-worn tires, so that's where the 1/16" rule comes in. (kind of like the 1" rule for carseat tightness... 1" is not ideal, but the limit has to be set somewhere reasonable to balance feasibility with safety, right?)

to measure the tire using the penny trick, you should measure across all the channels, not just one, and do this for every tire. tires don't wear evenly, depending on tire pressure, which corner of the car they are on, and vehicle alignment. if *ANY* channel has less than 1/16" of depth left, the tire is legally bald and needs to be replaced.

also, when replacing the tire, don't just get whatever tire the tire shop tries to sell you. while all tires have to meet minimum requirements for wet and dry traction, as well as heat resistance, not all tires perform the same, obviously. you should go to tirerack.com and do a search for tires for your specific vehicle. tirerack has a great comparison feature which compares tire rankings in about a dozen categories ranging from wet traction, dry traction, road noise, comfort, tread life, etc... (also note that tread life is often inversely proportional to traction, since longer tread life is achieved by harder rubber compounds which don't grip as well).

of course, best practice for someone in your climate is to have dedicated sets of high performance summer tires and winter tires, each set mounted on their own set of rims (tirerack sells winter tire/rim complete sets). then just swap them out twice per year. some people consider this a financial burden, but if you think about it, it's really not... each set of tires lasts longer because it's only being used for a portion of the year, not all year round. so the initial investment is higher, but it evens out over several years (like buying a more expensive carseat that you know will last longer based on weight/height accomodations).

anyway, that's my recommendation to anyone shopping for new tires, but the alternative is to just stick with a high-quality all-season tire. it won't so as well in any season, but for 95% of the population, they seem to be good enough. FWIW, i only started buying dedicated summer and winter tires just before DD1 was born three years ago, but i am a total convert...i will *never* go back to all-seasons... i notice that much difference.

Last edited:

TxMomma

Thanks for that website Southpaw! They have really good prices, even after shipping. I'm going to need new tires soon and I'll definitely be going there to get them :)

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Thanks! Was there a website? I don't see it :confused:

I really really need the least expensive (but safe of course) option ... maybe I could get some summer tires now & save towards winter tires :eek: depending on my school loan refund in a couple months I might even be able to get rid of this vehicle anyway :whistle: I used to just do the all-seasons, but I had 4WD/AWD then & I don't now.

TxMomma

I really really need the least expensive (but safe of course) option ... maybe I could get some summer tires now & save towards winter tires :eek: depending on my school loan refund in a couple months I might even be able to get rid of this vehicle anyway :whistle: I used to just do the all-seasons, but I had 4WD/AWD then & I don't now.

www.tirerack.com

southpawboston

just FYI, 4WD/AWD does help with accerelating in snow/sluch/ice but offers no advantage in terms of stopping ability since all cars have 4-wheel brakes; this is a common safety misconception. for stopping, you are relying on solely on the ability of the tires to grip the road, regardless if FWD, RWD, or AWD...

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
I agree tire track is a great place to get good prices on tires. That is were we bought all our tires. I am going to need a new set within the next 6mths or less myself. I am not looking forward to dropping that at all seeing as I have Tahoe with off road type tires that come stock on the vehicle.

southpawboston

if you don't use the tahoe for off-roading (i would guess that less than 5% of SUV owners really do), you can choose more of a touring-type of tire, which might be cheaper than a light-truck type tire and will actually give you far better roadholding characteristics and also better treadlife. but i agree, dropping $400-600 on news tires is not fun.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC