Question Carseat for Daycare Child

what would you do?

• Inform them and fix it

Votes: 14 93.3%
  • just fix it and not say anything

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters

wavegal

Hi ladies, this morning my Daycare child's carseat was left with him because someone else would be picking him up. The dad brought it in and I expected a few things to be wrong but not the biggest, the harness is routed improperly, the hip section is coming from the bottom harness slot, what would you do? email his mother and tell her you need to fix it because its dangerous or just do it? They don't seem to care all that much, they are loose straps and belly clip people. This is a myride65 and there is a picture
221778_620583069850_45904273_33751960_3653288_s.jpg

ADS

smackeen

I would tell them and fix it. If you just fixed it and did not tell them, there would be a good chance they would misroute it again...possibly thinking you made it wrong.
I have found the best way to go about it is to mention that you noticed it was wrong and would like to fix it. If for some odd reason the do NOT want you to fix it (could happen), I would explain to them how dangerous it would be in an accident.

wavegal

That was my first instinct but this isn't the only seat, they just don't care. I have a bad feeling the straps have been washed too, these are also people who turned their ds forward before a year old.

eta the reason I ask at all is because when talking to DH about it he thinks telling them will just have them change it back right away

smackeen

Ahh... I am not sure if I could do it without saying something. The parents would likely notice, who knows if the would do anything though.

Would it make a difference if you played what 'could' happen in the case of an accident?

For example: I noticed this was not in the correct spot and I fixed it for you. I was worried that if you ever stopped fast or were in an accident, LO could hurt their lower back. Now that the straps are in the right spot, it will hold the hips properly.

wavegal

That's what i was thinking of saying except it would probably be worse, the harness was completely loose, hes a 25lb 20 mth old, he would probably eject

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I would fix it, and mention it in passing at pickup. "Oh, Child wanted to model his seat for his friends and I noticed the harness had accidentally been tucked through the wrong spot, so I straightened it up."

I am probably a bad person to ask, though, as I micromanage my charges' seats... lol.

(I will add that I have found out this week that gently providing info over, and over, and over -- even when you're certain it's fallen on deaf ears -- *does* sink in to some degree. So I always take the opportunity to say something brief and gentle, unless the parent shows an interest in more.)

Jillybeans5

I would fix it, and mention it in passing at pickup. "Oh, Child wanted to model his seat for his friends and I noticed the harness had accidentally been tucked through the wrong spot, so I straightened it up."

:yeahthat:

Or just fix it, I couldn't in good conscience leave it that way and if you wait and ask them they might not let you. If you can find a way to mention it great but they don't sound like the kind of people that would really notice anyway.

aeormsby

I would probably fix it and fine the manual online and print out the page(s) showing how the harness should be so they know it needed to be changed.

Jocey'sMommy

I would honestly fix it and say something like, btw I adjusted the harness for you, it just didn't seem to fit right when he crawled in it and played earlier, I figured you guys are so busy and I had the seat for 8(?) today. . . . Makes them aware, won't piss them off that you had to "fix" their seat and since you stated they could care less or might even be offended and change it back, I don't think they would care as much if you never told them they were actually "wrong" while still telling them it was not right either.

Some people will not learn, you just have to do the best you can to make it safe without stepping on toes so that you don't loose them as clients by pissing them off

good luck

Last edited:

wavegal

Thank you! I have definitely already changed it, i snapped the picture and then fixed it, also stowed the rear facing latch anchors. When i was fixing it I almost thought she had sewed the hip slot closed but luckily just a few loose strings lingering. I wish I could just say something at pick up but grandma is picking him up and well she is 10x worse than the parents, she brought him once last year and he was only in the seat by the chest clip and the seat wasn't belted in:doh::thumbsdown:

Last month when the mom had picked up the boy i went out because he forgot a cup and had to help her fix the seat, belly clip, harness so loose i reached in and pulled him out showing what could happen in an accident, also the seat was installed recline(roundabout) when ffing. She fixed the issues then but who knows if shes continued.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC