Why can I not get a good install in the center of my '03 Highlander?

msg221

Every seat I have tried there I cannot get a tight enough install. I was really hoping to get the MA70 installed in the center for when DH's niece E comes to visit this weekend with her 19 month old daughter so that we could still get two adults in the back seat. I tried the other day and I just can't get it tight enough. I have to use the seat belt since there are no LATCH anchors there. Any suggestions? Oh, and E is bringing her Cocorro. Any chance it might be easier to install there? I've never played with one at all, so I just might have to give it a try.

ADS

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
I don't have any suggestions but I just wanted to say I feel like it's an issue with those Highlanders. A friend of mine has an '03 with a Combi Shuttle in the center, and it will NOT stay tight. She was finding even with locking the seatbelt and using the lockoffs it is loose after a couple uses. We finally ended up just moving it outboard with LATCH. :confused:

msg221

I tried the MA70 but I just couldn't get it to work, even with the lockoffs. Then I tried the TFP. The problem there was that the latchplate ended up in the way of the lockoff so I couldn't close it. Is that when I could twist the buckle stalk down? I haven't run into this problem before. I know I need to try it again tonight though. We have to pick up our niece and great niece from the airport tomorrow afternoon and I really would feel better having the baby in the center. There has to be a way to make it work since there are people who have successfully done 3 across in this vehicle!

T4K

emma41256 said:
I don't have any suggestions but I just wanted to say I feel like it's an issue with those Highlanders. A friend of mine has an '03 with a Combi Shuttle in the center, and it will NOT stay tight. She was finding even with locking the seatbelt and using the lockoffs it is loose after a couple uses. We finally ended up just moving it outboard with LATCH. :confused:

I had that problem with my Shuttle in my Altima. It's outboard now.

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
I tried the MA70 but I just couldn't get it to work, even with the lockoffs. Then I tried the TFP. The problem there was that the latchplate ended up in the way of the lockoff so I couldn't close it. Is that when I could twist the buckle stalk down? I haven't run into this problem before. I know I need to try it again tonight though. We have to pick up our niece and great niece from the airport tomorrow afternoon and I really would feel better having the baby in the center. There has to be a way to make it work since there are people who have successfully done 3 across in this vehicle!

Woops, sorry I missed this ... hopefully you figured it out by now, but yes, I would twist the buckle stalk up to three times to shorten it and that should help!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC