Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Why can I not get a good install in the center of my '03 Highlander?

Every seat I have tried there I cannot get a tight enough install. I was really hoping to get the MA70 installed in the center for when DH's niece E comes to visit this weekend with her 19 month old daughter so that we could still get two adults in the back seat. I tried the other day and I just can't get it tight enough. I have to use the seat belt since there are no LATCH anchors there. Any suggestions? Oh, and E is bringing her Cocorro. Any chance it might be easier to install there? I've never played with one at all, so I just might have to give it a try.

Marsha, Godmother to Nour & Zain (8) and grandparent (aka "Nanny Marsha") to Ethan (8), Katelyn & Owen (7), and Chase, (6)

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Why can I not get a good install in the center of my '03 Highlander?

I don't have any suggestions but I just wanted to say I feel like it's an issue with those Highlanders. A friend of mine has an '03 with a Combi Shuttle in the center, and it will NOT stay tight. She was finding even with locking the seatbelt and using the lockoffs it is loose after a couple uses. We finally ended up just moving it outboard with LATCH.
    Emma
    CPST-I & Colorado Mama to 5 year old Sam & 1 year old Grace, riding in a Frontier and a Coccoro.

I tried the MA70 but I just couldn't get it to work, even with the lockoffs. Then I tried the TFP. The problem there was that the latchplate ended up in the way of the lockoff so I couldn't close it. Is that when I could twist the buckle stalk down? I haven't run into this problem before. I know I need to try it again tonight though. We have to pick up our niece and great niece from the airport tomorrow afternoon and I really would feel better having the baby in the center. There has to be a way to make it work since there are people who have successfully done 3 across in this vehicle!

Marsha, Godmother to Nour & Zain (8) and grandparent (aka "Nanny Marsha") to Ethan (8), Katelyn & Owen (7), and Chase, (6)

Quote Originally Posted by emma41256
    I don't have any suggestions but I just wanted to say I feel like it's an issue with those Highlanders. A friend of mine has an '03 with a Combi Shuttle in the center, and it will NOT stay tight. She was finding even with locking the seatbelt and using the lockoffs it is loose after a couple uses. We finally ended up just moving it outboard with LATCH.
    I had that problem with my Shuttle in my Altima. It's outboard now.
    Mama to Baby Girl N - two years old
    Loving Stepmother of wonderful girls, H-9 and S-5

Quote Originally Posted by msg221 View Post
    I tried the MA70 but I just couldn't get it to work, even with the lockoffs. Then I tried the TFP. The problem there was that the latchplate ended up in the way of the lockoff so I couldn't close it. Is that when I could twist the buckle stalk down? I haven't run into this problem before. I know I need to try it again tonight though. We have to pick up our niece and great niece from the airport tomorrow afternoon and I really would feel better having the baby in the center. There has to be a way to make it work since there are people who have successfully done 3 across in this vehicle!
    Woops, sorry I missed this ... hopefully you figured it out by now, but yes, I would twist the buckle stalk up to three times to shorten it and that should help!
    Emma
    CPST-I & Colorado Mama to 5 year old Sam & 1 year old Grace, riding in a Frontier and a Coccoro.