Carseat info from UofM Transportation Research Institute

leighi123

My uncle along with other family members have worked for Ford for pretty much forever now, and they are also involved with many things though U of M. When my uncle came to visit, he was very interested in talking carseats with me. :) A couple things that came up were harness vs. booster for older kids (that could ride in either one), and also higher weight limit RF seats in the U.S.

So anyway, my uncle I guess talked with someone he knows who does crash testing, and gave him my email and he sent me this (based on whatever my uncle discussed with him, so Im not exactly sure how he worded his questions):

Hi Leigh-Ann,

Sorry for the delay, I've been in St. Louis for the last week without much internet access. At the UofM Transportation Research Institute, we perform a variety of crash tests, mostly focussed on wheelchairs and child restraints. Child restraints are not my area of expertise, but I can give you some unofficial preliminary thoughts, and introduce you to someone who has years of experience testing child restraints.

Most injuries from car accidents are caused by the occupant striking some part of the vehicle interior. The better the coupling the occupant's mass to the vehicle, the better off the occupant will be in an accident. Also, note that race-car drivers use 5-point harnesses and have unusually high success in high-speed impacts. The choice to use a 3-point belt is for convenience and occupant comfort, not safety. Everyone would use 5-point belts if safety were the primary goal. While I cannot cite a study comparing booster seats to forward-facing child restraints, I think a similar comparison of safety/convenience can be drawn.

The purpose of a booster seat is to increase the seat belt angles and keep the vehicle's lap belt across the child's pelvis, preventing 'submarining' - where the child slides underneath the lap belt and subjects the soft tissue of their abdomen to the lap belt loads. This objective is achieved with forward-facing restraints, but the booster seat offers more convenience and occupant freedom for more mature children.

All child restraints are tested at the limits that the manufacturer specifies (if they claim a 45lb limit for rear-facing, then the seat was tested with a 45-lb ATD). Successfully passing these tests indicates an appropriate level of occupant safety. It is very difficult to make any official recommendation or comparison with safety devices that have passed these tests - any manufacturer recommendations should be followed for the best results.

If you would like, I can pass you along to one of our researchers with years of experience in child seat testing who may be able to give you better answers. Aside from any studies that she can cite, she will probably be bound to give generic answers because we don't want the liability of official recommendations.

Quentin

Thought it was interesting how he mentioned race car drivers, sense I've seen here that its not exactly comparable to kids in carseats.

ADS

firemomof3

Interesting. But remember that the Hans device is used with race car drivers which is a huge difference :)

Baylor

I think his reasoning is sounds dead on.. We are not going 180 miles an hour around a track with a wall with no forgiveness either.. Most of our highways have barriers that are made to help absorb crashes and keep the car on the road as not to plunge off a cliff..

I think that when you look at the rate of force in a race car hitting the wall at about 180 miles an hour , These is an absolute need for the hans device... But I think in normal life scenarios it is plausible that that 5 pt harness is safer if it means less room for error or takes the variables out of child not being in the right position..

I think his observations based on what he knows to be true are interesting and positive.

The above is just my opinion and I am aware there are no studies that say HWH is safer than boostering.
My opinion is just that, My thought process and how I apply the information to my scenarios..

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC