New britax seat

ADS

babygirlsmom1005

I could see it making a 3 across totally not do-able, even for larger vehicles like I have (old body style Suburban)....if someone didn't have that need, if they wanted the extra feature, up to them.

cpsaddict

Ok, I am a die-hard Britax fan, but really? I would so not buy that. Then again, I think the Advocate is just an overpriced fancy Boulevard.

HeatherB

Whew. I *just* ordered a Frontier for my DS and was afraid I'd be disappointed... Nope, don't need that one! Always love it when they make upgrades I *don't* feel compelled to buy. ;)

creideamh

I love my new Frontier too and don't feel the need for those side things, just like I'd choose a Boulevard over an Advocate. I'd like the option to attempt 3 across! ;)

firemomof3

That's one of the benefits I've heard. But would a lbb kid FIT in the center between than and another seat in a normal-sized vehicle?

That was my thought also. I was thinking that maybe my dd1 in lbb drivers side outboard 3rd row then put the Frontier 85sict passenger outboard. So that way dd1 would benefit from the side impact pillows and have the vehicle's side curtain airbag...but I still don't know, I mean $340 :eek: It just seems stupid to me :eek:

luckyclov

I'm totally OK with my FR85. And I'd love to "justify" the purchase of a new seat, but I can't do it here.
My minivan has side curtain airbags and I don't have a kiddo in the middle of a 3 across in a seatbelt or NBB. Personally, I think those are the only two situations where I *would* consider it over the simple 'ol FR85.

AnnaC

I'd really love if Britax USA would stop coming out with things like this, that may or may not give a small increase in safety, and instead would put their resources into developing US seats that are like the Swedish ones they already make over there. :thumbsdown: You know, something that would actually make a HUGE increase in safety.

But that's just my cynical :twocents:. I always knew their seats were cool, but didn't really understand just how they worked or how cool they were until I watched the installation videos on carseat.se last night. So I'm just feeling a little ripped off right now. And wishing I had the money to import a couple of seats. Maybe I will by the time my kiddos outgrow their current ones.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
EPS and other energy absorbing inserts only work if the head of the child strikes them. In many side impacts, it is likely that the head will move forward of the head wings, due to forward motion of the vehicle before the impact.

The advantage of external cushions is that they will absorb energy regadless, as the cushions impact the vehicle frame, another CRS, another occupant or intrusion at the point of impact. Obviously, just like with energy abosrbing inserts, there are scenarios where external cushions wouldn't work at all (for example, if installed in the center with no adjacent seat or passenger).

I suspect that like most safety features of this type, the reduction in risk is small compared to the basics like proper installation and use. Still, for those looking for any possible safety improvement, I think it has merit. If you have the space for it!

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I'd really love if Britax USA would stop coming out with things like this, that may or may not give a small increase in safety, and instead would put their resources into developing US seats that are like the Swedish ones they already make over there. :thumbsdown:.

If there is a market, you can be sure they would, as would any company. I think the main issue is not one of resources, but rather of having federal standards updated such that these seats could pass.

mimieliza

This is dumb. It's the same problem with the Evenflo Momentum and OnSide Air - as a FFing child (who really NEEDS the extra SIP) grows taller, their head will be outside of the area protected by the cushions.

I like to err on the side of SIP (I do have a Boulevard and Complete Air after all), but I really think the headrest design (which the regular Frontier already has, of course) works better than the cushions on this seat or the Advocate.

AnnaC

If there is a market, you can be sure they would, as would any company. I think the main issue is not one of resources, but rather of having federal standards updated such that these seats could pass.

Oh I know there's more problems than just Britax. It's just frustrating when you want the safest seats and they're not available to you.

But we've come so far in 10 years- maybe in another 10 years we'll have seats like that over here!

Laurelz

eh. not overly impressed. It's just an update. Would I buy one, yeah sure if I was buying new and it happened to be in the right place at the right time. Do I NEED to buy one or WANT to buy one. No.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC