another should-we-turn-him thread

Hollyob

So DS2 will be 4 in June, and I thought we would turn him then (he is currently RF in a Radian XT, not SL). He's 36 lbs and 39". As such, he still fits quite well RF. I *think* DH would like to turn him, but he generally defers to me about carseat stuff. And we're not really getting any flak from anyone about ERF. A few people have been mildly surprised that he is still RF, but no one has been critical about it. The Radian works great RF in the 2nd row of our Mazda 5. So . . . . I'm not sure what to do. Obviously he can't RF forever, and 4 years of RF is great. At the same time, I'm not sure why we *should* turn him FF. Any thoughts from others who have faced this decision? :confused:

ADS

Karen

I turned DS at 4 yrs 4 months because he asked me to. If he hadn't asked, I would have turned him.

NannyMom

I turned DS at 4 yrs 4 months because he asked me to. If he hadn't asked, I would have turned him.

:yeahthat: Sofi turned FF at 4 because she was asking to. I'm ok with giving the child a say at 4yrs. If she hadn't been asking, I would have left her RF. Does your DS ask?

MaggieQ

Senior Community Member
Here's how I always look at it. If in a year they start selling Swedish type seats here, would you buy one to keep him RF to 55 lbs??

If no one is complaining and it's working well for you guys, I see no reason to flip him. Once he hits 4 and starts asking (consistently) to be turned, then go for it. You're one of the lucky ones!

monica-m

CPST Instructor
:yeahthat: to the previous posters. I would turn him if he asks but I wouldn't bring it up. I really hope to make it to 4 with DS.

Hollyob

That's the other thing - he has never asked. He has ridden FF a couple times in my parents' car, and once in ours (we had to put him in the 3rd row once & DH couldn't get his seat RF). He liked that, but I think it was b/c he was using his brother's old GN, so that was exciting. We didn't make any of the "riding forward-facing like a big boy" comments, since we didn't want him to like it too much, if you kwim.

I'll see what DH thinks when the birthday nears. If he really wants to turn him, we will. Otherwise, I guess not.

Thanks!

melniemi

My dd turned 4 in Jan. I had told her when she was 4 she could ff. Turned her then and 2 weeks later she asked to be backwards again. So she has been ever since. We just got a new car and she has a fr85 in there - but we rarely drive it since it's muddy spring season, we'd rather put the dirt and miles on the old van and she's still rfing in her ma in there. She does ask sometimes to ff in the van, but doesn't complain when her seat is rfing. She is 39" and 32-33#s fully dressed with shoes and a light coat.

msg221

At 4, I probably would feel more comfortable turning him. My dilemma is that Zain is nearing the RF limit on the TFP. He was, according to his mom, about 33 lbs before he got sick a few weeks ago with a horrible stomach bug. When I had him almost two weeks ago and weighed him before he got into the bath, he was 31.9 lbs. I fear that he may put the weight back on quickly now that he's back to eating normal again. He will be 3 at the end of the month. I'm not completely comfortable turning him FF so I've been debating over what to do.

hrice

msg221 said:
At 4, I probably would feel more comfortable turning him. My dilemma is that Zain is nearing the RF limit on the TFP. He was, according to his mom, about 33 lbs before he got sick a few weeks ago with a horrible stomach bug. When I had him almost two weeks ago and weighed him before he got into the bath, he was 31.9 lbs. I fear that he may put the weight back on quickly now that he's back to eating normal again. He will be 3 at the end of the month. I'm not completely comfortable turning him FF so I've been debating over what to do.

Would he fit in a Scenera 40RF?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC