pros and cons of head wings

andrewj

We're thinking of getting a new car seat for our daughter, who is 3.5. Thoughts in this forum about car seats with or without head wings (e.g. Radian XTSL v. 85SL)? Right now, she is sitting forward facing in a Britax. We're concerned that she may not like having head wings obstructing her peripheral vision, since she is in a seat that doesn't have head wings. Just wanted to check in and see if this a realistic concern or not (and if there really was an added safety benefit to having head wings).

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The idea is that restricting movement of the head can protect the spine. However, there are no standards for side impact protection, so they may be the best thing ever, or do nothing, and we have no way to know.

A forward facing seat, tethered properly, installed properly, and used properly with a harness is a fine choice for a 3.5 year old. If she doesn't want wings, fine. I wouldn't stress it at all.

Another option is to rear face her, if she's under 45 pounds. That's the ultimate in side impact safety, but I wouldn't stress a 3.5 year old forward facing.

Wendy

Chris

My kids rode in Britaxes with headwings (wizard & Boulevard). We loved them and now I am looking for another seat with wings. I like them for what seemed like added safety (made me at least feel like they were safer), the kids loved them for sleeping and didn't seem to have issues with not being able to see. They had them from early on, so I don't know if transitioning an older one would be different. Also, most HBB have some sort of "wings" so she will deal with them at some point, whether it is now or later...

NannyMom

Personally, I prefer headwings or deep sides. We don't know what true benefit they will provide because most side impacts aren't directly on the side.

Kids will lean their head forward to see around the wings. I had a child in a Vivo (booster with deep wings) and she would lean her head forward just enough to see around the wings, but still have her head inside them.

leighi123

My son can see everything I can see (just a few seconds later than I see it), he is in an XTSL and he is rearfacing. He has been in seats without headwings and doesn't seem to mind either way.

AnnieW625

My 5 yr. old has never once complained about the headwings on her Frontier. I personally can't see any disadvantages to having them. DD1 is a big car sleeper so they have been great for that.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC