Would you suggest a Sunshine Kids Radian to someone?

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I was talking to a friend who needs a carseat for all different ages and weights. The first thing that came to mind was an XTSL or 80SL because of the RFing and FFing limits. I would definitely tell them of the SL issue, but that makes the product sound completely unreliable.

I was just wondering- Will you recommend a Radian to anyone with all of the problems with LATCH loosening?

ADS

ctbcleveland

Only if their vehicle was known to be compatible with the seat using a seatbelt. My SLs are only installed with seatbelts. I am still using my non-SL seats with LATCH and have had no problem.

jess71903

Ambassador
Honestly, the Radians have fallen off of my list of recommended seats, except in extreme cases where the kid needs the 45lb weight limit to make it to 2 RF, or maybe if a tight 3-across is necessary and other seats won't work.

NannyMom

It wouldn't be one of my top recommendations. But if I thought it fit the situation best, I would and tell them of the SL issues.

Personally, I just bought 1 Radian off swap from someone I trust. I did NOT want to buy a new one from SKJP.

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
It wouldn't be at the top of my list, but not because of the SL issue. Radians have always had some incompatibility/install issues. And they're very pricey.

Is the friend needing to have different ages/weights/etc one right after the other? In other words, is it a situation where she'll have a forward facing kid and a rear-facing kid in the same seat on the same day at different times?

I like anything with an infinite harness for those situations. Like an EFTA65. One of the upgraded ones with the alligator LATCH connectors. That helps keep harness above/below shoulders misue a minimum...not having to constantly remove and move the harness. And having the upgraded LATCH connectors makes moving it around easier. (Assuming a seat with LATCH, and assuming most kids under the 40/48 LATCH limits.)

Last edited:

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

I'm royally ticked at SKJP and their inadequate response, and there have been a lot of complaints, but most people haven't had problems.

If it were a generally crappy seat with no other redeeming value I'd scratch it from my list. But the fact is that it tends to be a really awesome seat for many situations.

Would I caution people to keep an eye on the LATCH strap? Maybe. But I'm certainly not going to stop recommending it.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

I'm royally ticked at SKJP and their inadequate response, and there have been a lot of complaints, but most people haven't had problems.

If it were a generally crappy seat with no other redeeming value I'd scratch it from my list. But the fact is that it tends to be a really awesome seat for many situations.

Would I caution people to keep an eye on the LATCH strap? Maybe. But I'm certainly not going to stop recommending it.

:yeahthat: This exactly. If I didn't recommend a seat based on it's flaws, there would be nothing to recommend. :cool:

Mama Jo

I am always very careful when it comes to recommending radians - even before the SL issue - but I do like when I feel comfortable recommending one.

My Radian is my favorite favorite seat, and if I was the one asking for recommendations, I'd hate if I hadn't had the opportunity to become familiar with this seat just because someone wasn't comfortable mentioning it because of the issues people have had with it.

I have an XT, which I purchased before the SL. But even having the SL wouldn't matter to me because I prefer to install with a seatbelt whenever possible. That's just me.

I will recommend the Radian to people I think will take the time to learn about the seat. People who will take potential install issues seriously and actually make sure it's in properly rather than someone who would just route the belt, buckle it, and not even bother to check for tightness. And if SL is involved, that they would be very aware of the issues and pay close attention to it everytime it was used - and that they would be ok with using (and learning) the seatbelt install just in case.

But it's not a seat for everyone.

The CA has become one of my most frequently recommended convertible seats, despite the fact that I have a strong personal dislike for it. But I can't deny the fact that when I tried it out, it fit so darn perfectly... it's tall like the RN, fairly narrow like the RN, has a good amount of leg room and a high rf weight limit, and it's more upright than the RN. I think it's more user-friendly than the RN and probably a better fit for a lot of people.

andrewj

I was talking to a friend who needs a carseat for all different ages and weights. The first thing that came to mind was an XTSL or 80SL because of the RFing and FFing limits. I would definitely tell them of the SL issue, but that makes the product sound completely unreliable.

I was just wondering- Will you recommend a Radian to anyone with all of the problems with LATCH loosening?

Hi, I'm new to this forum. We are in the process of looking for a new car seat for our daughter who is 3 1/2 years old. She is already in a Britax, and we're planning on giving that to her younger brother. We're thinking of the Radian 85SL v. XTSL.

When you mean the "SL issue," what issues are there? I guess for us, the main attraction is how narrow it is compared to other models. We have an Acura MDX, so on the other hand, it may not be such an issue to fit three car seats across.

Karen

I always caution everyone that it has install issues in a lot of cars, and that in some cars it just isn't compatible. I don't think this SL issue is any different, it is the same incompatibility that the radian has in some cars because of the low base. The strap loosens just where a locking latch plate would. :eek:

Now, the way SKJP is handling it is ridiculous, but it is still a great seat. IF you can get it in.

christineka

I love the radians! I recommend them to people, but mention the sl issues and the possible compatibility issues. I love my radians. I think they are very good, safe seats as long as they are used correctly.

jenfrogmom

In a word . . . No.

To elaborate, I don't feel the "common" consumer would be able to correctly install it. Another reason, I don't trust SKJP anymore.

mlohry

jenfrogmom said:
In a word . . . No.

To elaborate, I don't feel the "common" consumer would be able to correctly install it. Another reason, I don't trust SKJP anymore.

That was my though too. If experts can't get these seats to stay in correctly, then how would someone that isn't as skilled even know to look for an issue. That would be a huge concern to me with recommending it.

christineka

That was my though too. If experts can't get these seats to stay in correctly, then how would someone that isn't as skilled even know to look for an issue. That would be a huge concern to me with recommending it.

I was a novice when I bought my first radian. It installed fine. In one spot in my van.

The people I'm recommending seats to are the type that will find a competent cpst to help if they can't get the seat in correctly themselves. They also know what a correctly installed car seat looks like. People in my real life don't want to spend that amount of money on a car seat, so I don't recommend the seat to them.

mlohry

christineka said:
I was a novice when I bought my first radian. It installed fine. In one spot in my van.

The people I'm recommending seats to are the type that will find a competent cpst to help if they can't get the seat in correctly themselves. They also know what a correctly installed car seat looks like. People in my real life don't want to spend that amount of money on a car seat, so I don't recommend the seat to them.

Good point!

Baylor

I would not. Because of the strap issue but more for the way they are handling it. I am so glad I did not buy one to rf my son.

AnnaC

My Radian installs easy too.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Baylor said:
I would not. Because of the strap issue but more for the way they are handling it. I am so glad I did not buy one to rf my son.

I totally understand not wanting to support companies that act in a less-than-stellar manner.

However, if I were to eliminate the two car seat companies I have the greatest philosophical issues with, I wouldn't be able to rear-face my 2-year-old much longer.

Dorel and Sunshine Kids are the two companies that many people (including myself) seem to have issues with, both from a philosophical and potentially-faulty-product standpoint. However, they also happen to make the seats with among the highest RF weight limits and highest shells.

It's also not my job (especially as a tech) to let my own opinion cloud my recommendations, nor to make moral decisions for other parents.

Baylor

I totally understand not wanting to support companies that act in a less-than-stellar manner.

However, if I were to eliminate the two car seat companies I have the greatest philosophical issues with, I wouldn't be able to rear-face my 2-year-old much longer.

Dorel and Sunshine Kids are the two companies that many people (including myself) seem to have issues with, both from a philosophical and potentially-faulty-product standpoint. However, they also happen to make the seats with among the highest RF weight limits and highest shells.

It's also not my job (especially as a tech) to let my own opinion cloud my recommendations, nor to make moral decisions for other parents.

It is a shame that the two seats that have the highest weight rfing seats are the ones that I think are the least reliable as companies. That matters more to me than the actual seat. I see shady practices from both companies and really bad customer service.

I would rather FF my child than use one of their seats. I really thought hard about it. I was all set to get a radian and then it was just about the time Mae posted her video. It freaked me out. If someone that careful could have a seat loose like that and not know it, surely it could happen to me.

I would just be afraid that I could recommend this seat to someone less car seat savvy and then it could malfunction and their child could get injured.

So I could not and would not recommend this seat. But I understand completely why you are saying you still would.

sunnymw

No. I even had a girl that was dead set on having one for her daughter. It fit beautifully rf, but was ONLY compatible ff in the center, which was not an option for her. So as much as she hated it, I sent her away with my EFTA. It fit well both ways, and she will never need the height or weight limit of a Radian.

It installs okay in my car. Installed great in many others. But I have had numerous.compatibility issues with MIL'S flex and other cars. So that alone makes me hesitate to recommend it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC