Airbag Safety: Pregnant Women and Small Adults

ADS

strollerfreak

Senior Community Member
Honestly, that's when I went on maternity leave (I told my boss I was going on maternity leave at that point, not dr's orders) with #2...I didn't feel comfortable driving anymore because I was too close to the steering wheel.

Of course I ended up having him the following day so just goes to show you...LOL

mommycat

Hah, that article applies to me in both instances (short AND pg).

I guess you just need to be as far back as you can if you need to drive. I drove myself to the hospital to deliver the last time around. I wasn't really uncomfortable, but I wasn't thinking as much about positioning before. Thank goodness the seating in my new car will be much more adjustable.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Most Shorter Drivers Can Eliminate Risk Without Deactivation

Also (PDF):
Belted drivers potentially at risk of serious airbag
injury are those sitting very close to the steering wheel.
But the same drivers would be at risk without airbags
because they’re likely to hit the steering wheel hard —
usually with the face — in a serious crash. They can
reduce the airbag risk without sacrificing the benefits by sitting
back and away from the wheel.

Most drivers, even short ones, can get at least 10 inches
from the steering wheel and still reach the pedals. The problem
often is that drivers sitting closer are leaning forward instead of
sitting back in their seats. They need only sit back. The few who
cannot get 10 inches from the steering wheel and still comfortably
reach the pedals may wish to consider pedal extenders
(call 800/833-0427 for information about these)...

Shorter Drivers Benefit from Airbags
The benefits for short drivers are illustrated by
two flat-barrier crash tests at 35 mph, each with
a 5-foot female dummy using a safety belt. The
driver seats were moved nearly all the way forward,
and each dummy’s knees almost touched
the instrument panel. One car had an airbag,
which effectively protected the small dummy. In
the other car — the same model except there
was no airbag—the dummy’s face hit the steering
wheel rim hard enough to bend it severely.

Loves2sing

That makes me scared for when I get pregnant next summer again, ( I hope!) I am only 5'2, and I get big FAST when I'm pregnant. Then again, Dh will be home a lot more next year, and my mil who will live down the street doesn't work, so maybe the advice to get someone else to drive might work for me. Maybe I'll sit in the back with Jenna. MIL already thinks I am crazy about car safety anyway, and Jenna LOVES having the company in the back.:p

The Bjorns

Well I'm currently about to hit 27 wks pregnant...time to stretch the arms a bit. Luckily, I'm 5'9" so I'm pretty far back normally. I just have shorter arms for my height. DH moves the seat so far back I can't stand it and he's only a smidge taller than I am.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC