Harness tightening ?

My friend messaged me through FB saying this,

"why is it that once the seat is installed that the straps tighten "unevenly" once the child is seated in the carseat (I have this issue with my Marathon and Radian that my dd (3) rides in AND with my Regent and Nautilus that my ds (6 1/2) rides in--and related to that, why are they SO HARD to tighten properly in the car? I am constantly having to make my child get out of the seat, slightly adjust, put them in, take them out, adjust some more, etc... Once they are adjusted, I don't touch them, but if my husband or sitter drive them, they loosen the straps to take the kids out of their seats and then it starts all over again... what is causing this and can I do anything about it?"

I told her,

"Some seats have a continuous harness, meaning that the harness is just one big strap so it goes under the seat itself. Sometimes this causes the strap to get caught on one side or the other causing the issue you describe. On seats like the Nautilus where it's not a continuous strap sometimes it's the splitter plate (the piece the straps connect to on the back when you adjust harness position height) that is getting caught on something. Otherwise, I'm at a loss. I'll hop on to cs.o & ask there too."

So ol' wise ones, what else could be the issue? She never mentioned this the last time I helped her with her seats otherwise I would've checked things to help find the issue.

TIA.

ADS

glockchick

Could be the kid not sitting in the center of the seat or leaning as well. All the seats you said I think have separated harnesses. I know the RN an fr85 do.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Did she misrouted one of the Britax hip straps?

Kid sitting lopsided or not pulling both hip areas tight are the most usual culprits.

Ok, I'll suggest that to her. Although, I'm 99% sure that's not the problem. She's an absolute nut about car seat safety like we all are (I keep telling her to come join our craziness) so she's really on to her kids about sitting appropriately.

I couldn't remember if the MA was a continuous strap or not but knew the rest weren't.

I have a similar problem with my Radian65s. When I looked at the harness straps on the back, the problem seemed to be where they hook on to the adjuster strap. Since both straps go onto the same piece, one of them is on top of the other and that side is the looser one when I strap them in. Is there a way to get them more level-ly attached on the back so they lay evenly on the shoulders?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC