Talk me into/out of...

Mom2FiveGirls

boostering DD4 full time. She does great in a booster. She stays in position even when sleeping. She is 5.5 years old (she'll be 6 in September) and weighs 44 lbs. I'm seriously considering selling our radian and getting her another seat. She has pretty bad head slump in the nautilus so I was thinking about getting a frontier 85, but it seems kinda pointless when I had planned on moving her to a booster full time when she turns 6. So, now I'm thinking about getting her a booster now. She loves the Kallie TB (I do too) :) And she fits really well in the TB. But, I'm nervous about having her in a booster full time. I don't know why. I have no reason to believe she wouldn't continue to do well in a booster. And I know for a child who can stay sitting correctly (which she can) and is over 40 lbs (which she is) there is no evidence that being in a harnessed seat is safer, but... I'm struggling with it. So, what would you do?

OH! DD3 is currently in a nautilus in booster mode but its hard for her to buckle, so I'm going to be getting a new booster for her and I'll hang onto the nautilus until DD4 has been in a booster and doing well for several months just in case.

ADS

Ali

It's a tough decision, isn't it?

My DD turned 6 in January and rides in a FR and GN in our cars and a TB in other people's cars.

I would be fine with her boostered full-time if we didn't already have 2 seats that still fit harnessed. I told her when she's 7, she can choose harness or booster.

MommaWhitney

Im kinda in the same boat. My DD1 is going to be 6 at the end of June. She is 39lbs and I keep saying once she is 40lbs Ill booster train. Im scared though, well nervous. She will ask every once in awhile to booster.
I actually thought wed have to booster because she broke her arm and has a cast almost to her shoulder. I almost couldnt get the harness on. Thought Id have to convert the GN into a booster right there in the parking lot. But if I let the harness all the way out she can slip her arm in, then I tighten it like normal.

I dunno its a hard chose.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

tjham

Same situation here! My grandson will be 6 in two weeks and weighs 43 lbs. I am *in charge* of his car seats. ;)

He occasionally rides in a booster for short rides but not often. He is the type to follow the rules.

He is in a Radian in mom's car, a Nautilus (harnessed) in dad's car and my car, a FP Safe Voyage in grandpa's truck and also in other grandma's car. Neither he nor any of those people have mentioned changing him to a booster! I am amazed that I will probably be the one bringing it up when I thought I would have to be fighting it as soon as he turned 4 or even 5.

As long as eveyone seems content with the situation and he fits, I guess it's status quo!

christineka

I would proceed with caution. Buy the booster and use it for a few months before selling the harnessed seat. My ds did fine in a booster temporarily. Once he got used to it he acted up and at that point I had sold his nautilus. I then had to buy another harnessing seat. Later sold it, then had to get a harnessed seat back. And so on. You'd think I'd learn!

melniemi

My dd will be 7 in 2 months and just got a booster in our new car. But after riding in it a few times, she asked for her frontier in the van - which we use more often because well, it's already beat up, lol. She is almost even with the top slots on that so I might sell it and get a FR85 for her in the van.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC