how long did your child rf in radian?

U

Unregistered

DD just turned 4.5 years old (42" tall and 40lbs) She is currently rear facing in a radian xtsl. No problems with the rear face, we have the room, she likes to rear face. She is running out of leg room a bit, but not enough for her to complain or look uncomfortable.

My question is: when did your turn your child front facing in the radian (or other seat with a high rearfacing limit). We don't have any specific reason to turn her at this time, but she will need to be turned at some point :) DH thinks DD may be the only 4.5 year old in SoCal who is still rearfacing, lol.

Did you wait until your child hit the weight limit? Or until the legs become too scrunched? What age did this happen?

thanks,
Sarah

ADS

AtTheSouthDam

At 4 years we let DD2 flip flop between RF and FF as she wished. She actually preferred RF in my husbands car as she had a better view out the rear window. Just recently she has hit the 40# weight limit of our non-SL RN80 and reached the 1" so she is now stuck FF. She is 4 y 10 months.

babygirlsmom1005

Madeline outgrew it at 5.5 years old - Radian XT (40 lbs rear facing one) by height (less than 1 inch hard shell above head).

She is 38 lbs and a little above 43 inches tall for referance

Madeline never complained about leg room when rear facing in it....now all I hear is how much her legs hurt that she's forward facing in her Frontier (Radian passed down to Marshall - she doesn't prefer the Radian for forward facing) and she usually has them pulled up in the seat trying to keep them from hanging down.

christineka

My dd3 turned ffing in the radian at her 6th birthday and about 33 pounds. Her radian rfes to 40 pounds, but she wanted to ff. My ds2 rfes in the radian, is 32 pounds and age 4. I plan to get him to 5 or 6 before turning him ffing, but I let him ride ffing in other vehicles.

KaiLing

Here's probably your youngest answer: my giant 2year 4month old is pushing the weight limit on the Radian RF (40 lbs--it's a late 2008 model) but not the height limit. He's still under 40 lbs, but weighs in at anywhere from 36-38 lbs so I'm getting antsy, even though we're edging into summer and he's wearing fewer clothes and lighter shoes. He's huge but we 're not ready for FF: we tried it when traveling before I learned that our Radian was one of the ones with the retroactive 40 lbs limit, and he was pretty uncomfortable and couldn't sleep in the car or the plane. I don't care that he's the size of a 4 year old, he's not even 2 and a half, so I opted to import a seat (the only other option would be a XTSL with a 45 lbs weight limit and I don't love the Radian in the Mazda).

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
DD2 is 4 and 30 lbs and she's RF at the moment but goes back and forth. At this age I'm fine with whatever she wants. Right now she is RF since her baby brudder kicks her in the face if he's RF and she's FF :rolleyes: We are traveling soon and she asked to be RF for the trip.

armywife12

Caleb rf in it until he was about 3.6 months old. He was about 42 inches and 43lbs. I was having issues with our seat and he was close enough to the rf weight limit so I turned him around and sold the xtsl. He is now about 45 lbs so it wouldn't have lasted too much longer for us

mcomommy

My son is 37ish pounds right now and still rear facing in his, I am sure he will make it past 3 years rear facing but I don't know long.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
My J (very high percentiles in both height and weight) weighted out at 3y11. He lasted 2mos FF before he asked to go back RF, "I didn't realize how much I could SEE out the back!" LOL. The rest of my gang are younger/smaller or were too big to RF in it when I got it. The oldest still RFing (although she usually fits in the MR) is 5y2m, and she flips back and forth.

Although I prefer to aim for 6, I either RF until the child maxes out the RN or they turn 4, at which point I will allow them to FF if they really want to -- but they have to have been asking about it, and I will tell them that I prefer them RF because it's safer.

LuvMyCharlie

DS recently asked to be turned back RF and and a new 45-lb. Radian was his only option. He's pushing the 1" mark and right at 40 lbs(so a Complete Air would not work). At last measure he was around 40-41" tall and taller on the top half.

Cryssy Jane

Odin is 3 years not quite 3 months, and has exactly 1 inch in my impreza at a 22 degree upright angle, he's been too tall to ride rf in the radian in the van (37 ish degree angle) since december so 2 years 10 months. He's 40 inches tall, 15.5 torso, ginormous head and 34ish lbs depending on the week, he'll bounce between 32lbs and 36lbs.

mumof2

Megan is 3 years 5 month approx 37lbs and 40" she has approx 3-4 inches before she outgrows I am hoping she will make it to 4 at least

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
DD just turned 4.5 years old (42" tall and 40lbs) She is currently rear facing in a radian xtsl. No problems with the rear face, we have the room, she likes to rear face. She is running out of leg room a bit, but not enough for her to complain or look uncomfortable.

My question is: when did your turn your child front facing in the radian (or other seat with a high rearfacing limit). We don't have any specific reason to turn her at this time, but she will need to be turned at some point :) DH thinks DD may be the only 4.5 year old in SoCal who is still rearfacing, lol.

Did you wait until your child hit the weight limit? Or until the legs become too scrunched? What age did this happen?

thanks,
Sarah
At 4, I'd turn a child who asked to, repeatedly (not just a whim.) 4 is our family goal. But let your husband know that my 5 and 7 year olds have begged to rear-face again, and soon will be, in Swedish seats since they are over the weight limit on US seats. So you aren't the only one in SoCal. ;)

kalamos23

KaiLing said:
Here's probably your youngest answer: my giant 2year 4month old is pushing the weight limit on the Radian RF (40 lbs--it's a late 2008 model) but not the height limit. He's still under 40 lbs, but weighs in at anywhere from 36-38 lbs so I'm getting antsy, even though we're edging into summer and he's wearing fewer clothes and lighter shoes. He's huge but we 're not ready for FF: we tried it when traveling before I learned that our Radian was one of the ones with the retroactive 40 lbs limit, and he was pretty uncomfortable and couldn't sleep in the car or the plane. I don't care that he's the size of a 4 year old, he's not even 2 and a half, so I opted to import a seat (the only other option would be a XTSL with a 45 lbs weight limit and I don't love the Radian in the Mazda).

You might have more time than you think, dd was 36 lbs at 18m and has gone between 36 and 38 lbs since then. She is now 34mo but I think she will gain the last few lbs this next month (ours goes to 40#) bc she is still nursing and I just had a baby so the good weight gaining milk is back.

So for us, probably around 36mo or so.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Car-Seat.Org

ChristyH

My DD is 3yrs old and at just 26lbs and 34" tall with a 11 1/2" torso she has tons of RF'ing room left in her Radian. I would say at least 6-8 inches of room left, but I'd have to measure to be sure.

hrice

Colton is 3 in June and still has at least 6" above his head in the RN. He recently lost a little weight and is about 33# fully clothed (with shoes). It's been a while since I measured him. He's between 37-38" tall with a 13.75" torso. I *think* he should make it to 5 RF in his XTSL.

emandbri

Elizabeth was 4 years 4 months, she was 43 lbs but over with clothes, boots, and jacket so I turned her.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC