HELP FAST! How to unlock a locked seatbelt 05 Uplander (5

Nisha

I need some FAST HELP!!!

The seatbelt in my sisters 05 uplander got wrapped around the head rest once and locked - ANY idea how to get it unlocked? We've tried to get it unwrapped but it's too tight, and these &*^$^%&*() headrest don't come OFF!!!

She's loading to leave home for ND and needs to get the car seat put back in that position so they can get home!!! (3 other car seats in the vehicle so they REALLY need that one for the 4th! - it's the 3rd row drivers side.)

ADS

Pixels

The only way it will unlock is to get it to retract far enough. That means you will have to get it unwrapped or het the headrest out. Does the owners manual indicate that headrest is non removable? Is there a little slot or hole you could poke something in to get it to come out? Does that position have LATCH to install a seat instead?

Nisha

The only way it will unlock is to get it to retract far enough. That means you will have to get it unwrapped or het the headrest out. Does the owners manual indicate that headrest is non removable? Is there a little slot or hole you could poke something in to get it to come out? Does that position have LATCH to install a seat instead?

No, No, and No.

I've tried everything I can to force as much as seat belt as possible back in, the manual says they don't come off (they fold back when the seat is folded), and there is no LATCH in the 3rd row of the Uplanders.

Pixels

Not that I know of. Can you see how the retractor is attached to the vehicle? It may be as simple as unbolting the whole thing. Then of course you would have to get it bolted back on and properly torqued.

Nisha

What a crazy ordeal! I messed a lot with the retractor but couldn't get it unlocked (couldn't see most of it but could fit my hand in there). Finally I spied the lever to pull the vehicle seat out, and 2 of us unlatched the seat and held it up close enough to the retractor that it unlocked!

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
For those who may not know, we own a body shop and I told DH what happened and what you did to get it undone. He says in the future should anyone have this issue the easiest thing to do is to pop the cover of the seatbelt at the anchor point on the floor and unbolt it there. He also said that there are ways to remove most stationary headrest. However, it requires a specialty tool to do so. He says any body shop that knows what they are doing could do this if they have the tool. He knows this was not an option on a Sunday but good FYI for the future.

Glad you got it undone.

Nisha

For those who may not know, we own a body shop and I told DH what happened and what you did to get it undone. He says in the future should anyone have this issue the easiest thing to do is to pop the cover of the seatbelt at the anchor point on the floor and unbolt it there. He also said that there are ways to remove most stationary headrest. However, it requires a specialty tool to do so. He says any body shop that knows what they are doing could do this if they have the tool. He knows this was not an option on a Sunday but good FYI for the future.

Glad you got it undone.

That is good to know - I didn't think of trying to unbolt the seat belt at the floor! The head rest isn't exactly stationary - it doesn't move up or down, or come off (without any special tools, at least!), but it folds back when the seat is folded up!
And of course, being Sunday morning, my husband was at church, I was home with a sick kid and trying to help my sister get packed and on the road (with HER sick kids!) back to ND, only made it crazier!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC