Occasional booster for a 4 year old?

kelpiegirl

I'm looking for a fairly inexpensive booster (?) for a 4 year old for very occasional use. He is currently is in a Britax frontier and SK Radian. We have inherited an older mini-van and are deciding on what to do as we will now have 3 vehicles so 1 will be intermittently used but want to have something in their in case moving a car seat would not be possible at the time. Also for friends, etc. Unless their are fit issues, I plan on putting baby behind driver's seat and DS in center.

DS4 currently is 42.5" tall, 40 pounds, and has a torso height of almost 16". We also have a Britax Blvd but heightwise he's about done with this one. We currently don't use it but will most likely install this seat for baby #2 in the third car (we are expecting in August) once the baby is big enough. Also have a RS vest as well but this is kept in the primary car usually for emergencies or friends.

I'm willing to pay for safety but on the other hand, we have lots of other expenses and the car seat will be used occasionally so want to keep the cost in check as well. But if it's something we could use full time when he's older that would be helpful.

Cars we have & where I was planning on putting car seats:
2001 Dodge Caravan (my new primary? once baby comes). Britax Frontier. Graco safeseat.
2009 Corolla (switch too DH's primary once I'm home). SK Radian. Graco safeseat (extra base).
2004 Expedition (will be least used). New booster/car seat and Britax Blvd.

Thanks for any insight,
Susan

ADS

gsdguenter

What about a Maestro? They are $80 and can be used as a 5 point harness until she is ready for a booster. They are outgrown booster and harness wise about the same time, but I personally think 4 is a bit young for booster riding.

krfogle88

A classmate in my niece's preshool class rides in ProBooster. I have used it in my car while carpooling the kids during a fieldtrip. He's almost 5 and it fits him nicely and it is very well made.

ginny4

i have a booster for my youngest when he was 4 (over 40lbs). he's almost 5 (in june) & we used it less than a handful of times (about a year). it has been only rare occasions. my mom can't buckle a harness correctly at all & we have it as an extra in our rarely used 2nd vehicle. he has done fine with it (actually better than my DD who will be 7yo in a week) im sure it has alot to do with its "new" to him still.

babygirlsmom1005

The Graco High Back Turbobooster fits small booster riders very well. Madeline (my 5.5 year old) is currently booster training in one. She is 43 inches and 38 lbs...

flipper68

Senior Community Member
Another vote for the turbo. It fits smaller booster riders very well and is inexpensive.

:yeahthatlove: You can lock the seat belt once DS is buckled in. It will help remind him to stay in position.

Don't forget to install the screws in the armrests. :D

xursusmaritimusx

i bought a turbo booster to use with my 4.5 year old for occasional use in the MIL's car... so another vote for the turbo.

my DD is 42" and 45lbs and it fits her soooo well

kelpiegirl

Thank you all! I think we will go ahead and get the Turbo booster. I think it's the one that is on sale at Target this week. He is well behaved and always waits to unbuckle until we are stopped, etc. I definitately will keep him in the harnessed seats in the other 2 cars until he outgrows them but am glad I can have something in the 3rd car or for those times where we need to bring a friend. Thanks again.

Susan

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC