is it worth it?

amy&girls

to look for a new bucket seat? My son is in a Safeseat, but I get the feeling he is going to outgrow it before I want him too. He is only 3 weeks old, but already 23in and just over 11lbs (was 10lbs3oz, 21 3/4in at birth). he is gaining quickly and at this rate its likely he will outgrow it around 6 or 7 months. I was hoping to leave him in it till he was a year, b/c at that point my second oldest will be 6.5 and I will be more comfortable with her in a booster, and her younger sister can have her Nautilus (b/c at that point, she will be just over 5), and then I can take the EFTA she is riding in and use it for my son (rear-facing of course)

So I'd either have to go with that plan when he outgrows it, and hope every one fits the way I want them too (my second oldest is a tiny thing, only weighs 38lbs right now) I don't know, is it worth it to buy another bucket seat? or just switch it up. I don't think there are many options that harness higher as a bucket, are there?

ADS

vonfirmath

I'd wait and see when he actually outgrows it. Kids do slow down their growth rate and the Safeseat is still one of the largest buckets on the market.

My son was not quite that large -- 9lbs at birth and stayed at 90% for height and weight his first year of life and still lasted until 13 months in the Safeseat (I don't know when he would have outgrown it because we moved him for other reasons at that point)

ahgirls

Don't you just love big babies? I would personally start saving up now for a new convertible. It can be used longer and by the time he has out grown the bucket the convertible will fit. Also you can ERF with convertible.

I don't know of any convertibles for big babies as I am past that point with my giant baby. I did like my sister's myride. I know those can be found on sale for a little over $120.

Kobain's Mommy

My DS was born 10lbs 9oz and 21". He'll be 1 next week and if I tried I could still get him into his SS1 or SR32. He's right at the 1" "line". But for the last 2 months he's been in a convertible just because I didn't want to carry that bucket anymore. So IMO I would wait.

amy&girls

Thanks guys. I hope he lasts in the bucket, b/c he sure is heavy, and its really easy to just snap the bucket onto the stroller and take him into the store that way. I'm going to miss the bucket I think when its gone. :( Hopefully he lasts in it till at least the winter is over. I do NOT want to try to fight 5 kids into coats, and at least I'll be able to throw a warm blanket over him and cover him with the shower cap type cover.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC