Least likely to cause arguements way to fly with 10 month old?

erin327

What do you think? Our LO is 10 months old, 16.5lbs, 28.5 inches long. She usually rides in a True Fit (rf of course) without the headrest. Should I take that on the plane since she is used to it? I am always nervous about the hassles from flight attendants about using car seats on the plane especially since I am always installing rearfacing and that seems to get more resistance. Should I take our Graco Safeseat for the flight? Am I less likely to get pressure to install it forward facing if I take it?

ADS

Dillipop

Since she is under 1 and under 20 pounds, she can't use her truefit ffing anyway. If questioned, I'd just tell them that.

However, for a flight, I'd almost definitely choose to take the infant seat. It's lighter, has a built in handle, is really easy to install, even with baby in the seat, and it can't be used ffing, so even if they try to tell you otherwise, it can't be done. There will be stickers on the seat saying so and also saying the seat is approved for aircraft.

jnamommy

Make sure to take printouts from the FAA and from the airlines, highlighting the sections where it states that child restraints are acceptable, etc. Then if you are questioned, you can politely say that the FAA does permit car seats. If they still question you, ask them to show you the problem in their manual so you know for in the future. Usually this ends it.

NewEngland

There will be stickers on the seat saying so and also saying the seat is approved for aircraft.

The TF stickers are on the bottom. I had a heck of a time finding them the first time. And I second printing the FAA regulations.

I hesitantly recommend the infant seat, since I'm not sure it will fit in all situations, and I would hate for you to be without a seat on the plane. But it sure is easier. OTOH, for a 10 mo, I'm confident that the TF can be installed upright enough and w/o the headrest to fit in basically any airplane seat.

jen8544

What do you think? Our LO is 10 months old, 16.5lbs, 28.5 inches long. She usually rides in a True Fit (rf of course) without the headrest. Should I take that on the plane since she is used to it? I am always nervous about the hassles from flight attendants about using car seats on the plane especially since I am always installing rearfacing and that seems to get more resistance. Should I take our Graco Safeseat for the flight? Am I less likely to get pressure to install it forward facing if I take it?

I have only had problems with FAs about RFing on Continental Express flights, not Continental (regular) or Southwest (they were great). Personally, I would take the Safeseat if you can bring a snap-n-go because it will make it easy to take her through the airport. Otherwise, I would pick up a Scenera. I would hate to haul our TrueFit - it's heavy. :) Whatever is easiest for you to get through the airport is my pic - and I carry a copy of the FAA docs with the relevant parts highlighted (particularly in one doc when they say the seat can be "aft-facing" (not to be confused with the seat having to be installed in a foward-facing AIRPLANE seat (i.e., not the business class seats on international flight that face aft)). I think I have all the links here - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dear-...ions-and-keep-my-toddler-safe/188531564501064

Good luck!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC